Recent content by JHawk82

1. J

Tank of the Month??

Has the club ever had a TOTM article for DFW area? I would love to see in detail some of the great tanks we have in the area. I am sure this has been brought up before but I was just wondering.
  2. J

Calcium Reactor Question

My calcium reactor doesnt not have a place to put a ph probe in the reactor so, I have the effluent dripping into a clear plastic cup with two holes drilled into it. The water level is about an inch inside the cup so I can get a ph reading from the ac jr. I just put the reactor on line so I...
  3. J

Couple of Newbie ?'s

Will a heater cause any damage just laying in the water. For example, will it melt any plastic that it comes in contact with? Is it ok to put a calicum reactor in my sump?
  4. J

Cycling Tank w/ Shrimp

I hope I am not beating up an old topic because I searched the board and didnt find much info. I want to start the cycle of my tank with a dead shrimp. But first I have a couple questions. What kind of shrimp? How many do I used for a 120G tank? I am afraid if I throw them in the tank my...
  5. J

Dart Pump Question

For those using external pumps how do you keep the debris out of the pump? My dart was running fine for days then all the sudden now its a lot louder. I think there might be debris in the pump. Is this normal?
  6. J

Help with wiring icecap MH quick disconnect

I am trying to wire a quick disconnect from my ballast to the mogul. Can anyone tell me where each wire goes? green/black/white. The female side is prewired, so I am wiring the male side. Please let me know if you can help or can direct me to some type of wiring diagram. Thanks.
  7. J

What do you use to dose magnesium

Whats the best way to supplement mag in a 120G sps tank? I have a calcium reactor so that is an option. I guess I am weighing the options to manually dose or put mag media in my reactor? If I choose to go the calcium reactor route whats a good media to use? Thanks for any help!
  8. J

How to prime Dart pump

Once everything is plumbed in, how do I prime the Dart pump I am using?
  9. J

Reef iphone Applications

If this is not in the right forum please move mods. My friend was just approved by Apple to develop applications for the iphone. I know there is already an app for neptune, but I was trying to get some input on pratical applications that he could develop for the aquarium. He is looking for...
  10. J

JHawk82's 120G Build (Updated 4/20/10 w/ new pics)

Well I am in the beginning stages of my 120G build so I thought I would post my plans and equipment and see if anyone has any better ideas. 120G Dual Overflow 30G Sump w/ 12G refugium 2 x Vortech MP40w's for flow Deltec AP600 skimmer 1 Phosban reactor 1 Carbon reactor 1/4hp Pacific Coast...
  11. J

Vortech Question

I just got 2 vortech mp40w used that were purchased new last October. Can anyone tell me how I can see if they are upgraded to Gen 2? I read the manual and it shows how to see what firmware I have but I dont understand it. Sorry if this is a noob question.
  12. J

Aquascaping Help

A while back I saw a really could article on how to aquascape with acrylic rocks along with drilling rock for coral pegs but now I cant seem to find it anywhere. I believe it was on Reef Central or the Reefkeeping magazine. Does anyone know what I am talking about or can direct to good...
  13. J

Plumbing manifold

I want to run one Dart pump on a manifold to run my skimmer, 2 TLF reactors, calcium reactor,chiller and return. Anyone have a good design that used that works well? Last thing I want to do is build something that doesnt do what I want it to do. Thanks
  14. J

Has anyone created a rocking motion with Tunze's?

I have 2 x 6100 Tunze's on a 7095 Controller. I have yet to find a program that creates a natural rocking motion. Of course it creates great turbulant flow but i love the look of coral rocking back and forth. Thanks for the help.
  15. J

Typhoon RO/DI

anyone have any experience with these units from air,water and ice? I have been looking around and want to find the best unit under $200. Give me some ideas of what to look for. Thanks!