Reef iphone Applications

If this is not in the right forum please move mods.

My friend was just approved by Apple to develop applications for the iphone. I know there is already an app for neptune, but I was trying to get some input on pratical applications that he could develop for the aquarium. He is looking for any and all ideas. Let me know.

Thanks

There are a bunch of calculators that would be awesome on the iphone- tank size, DSB depth, water weight, etc. Then there's the whole flash reef calc (one that is more than just for seachem products).

How about an anemone / clown compatability chart?

Something that listed fish/inverts care requirements and compatibility..

Kind of like the bartender app but for fish. Link it to a website where people can submit new species.

I like the idea of a reef calculator app, I would def. use a tank volume calculator but like ashlar listed there are a lot of cool calcs you could put

Dunno, I don't have an iphone. I know there is nothing for the G1, maybe he could take a look at developing android apps.

Android is the OS used by the google g1 (tmobile g1) and which will be used on a few upcoming phones.

Android has a market place similar to the iPhone.

I just talked to him about the livestock dictionary. What does everyone think about an app that would list pretty much any coral/fish/inverts. Show a picture of each and list a bunch of info, for example, adult size, min. tank size, parameters, compatibility, appetite, origin, etc. The only problem is if he uses someone elses pictures that wouldnt work. Anyone have an idea on how to get around the picture copyright problem?

@JHawk82 wrote:
I just talked to him about the livestock dictionary. What does everyone think about an app that would list pretty much any coral/fish/inverts. Show a picture of each and list a bunch of info said:
Use free stock photography (http://www.sxc.hu/) and allow users to submit species with photos.

Ask others for permission to use their pictures. Take a few risks?

I've started a couple sites using google'd pictures when I was younger, submitted them under fake users, and removed them if ever requested. Not the best way to do it :oops:

Such an app just came out today from the iTunes store.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307343271&mt=8

There is another app to called invertebrati marini that came out in January. And they do have a lite version to try out

He should make an app for the reefkeeper elite or some type of resource to jot down measurements and graph like ca alk nitrates and has a reminders for carbon and phosban replacement.

Talk about good timing. Thanks Marc. I like kuya's idea about being able to chart parameters and set up reminder for water changes, carbon, phosban etc.

@JHawk82 wrote:
If this is not in the right forum please move mods. My friend was just approved by Apple to develop applications for the iphone. I know there is already an app for neptune said:
did he ever make any apps?

@Wes wrote:
[I]@JHawk82 wrote:[/I][quote="If this is not in the right forum please move mods. My friend was just approved by Apple to develop applications for the iphone. I know there is already an app for neptune said:
did he ever make any apps?"]

No, he says he is too busy with work, but I keep bugging him about it.

Another one you can find on iTunes now is AquaStatix. It lets you log and chart water tests performed, plus you can add notes as well.