What do you use to dose magnesium

Whats the best way to supplement mag in a 120G sps tank? I have a calcium reactor so that is an option. I guess I am weighing the options to manually dose or put mag media in my reactor? If I choose to go the calcium reactor route whats a good media to use? Thanks for any help!

Go to Bulkreefsupply.com and order your magnesium supplement there. One package mixes up with water to equal about 20oz. You dose that either periodically (their cal/alk supplements are 1gal of each, then 20 oz of mg) or a little at a time. A very simple and economical option!
Catherine.

@JHawk82 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with dolomite or is it easier to dose it with another product? said:
Define easy...

With Dolomite you add it in the reactor like your regular ca reactor media and re-add it as it dissolves.

Dosing is simply pouring in what you need on a periodic basis.

Both are easy.... it just matters which you prefer. None are 'better' than others really. Some are more cost effective though, for example 1 gallon of Tech M will run you about $40 bucks vs 1 Gal of BRS two part runs about $5 bucks. Dolomite runs about $20 bucks for a can, no idea how long that lasts for though as it would vary from system to system but figure 1 can per media refill.

The only 'better' scenario is when you select a dosing mg supplement, some are either Mg Sulfate or Mg Chloride. You want one that is a mixture of both as dosing one or the other over a period of time can throw things off in the system.

@JHawk82 wrote:
Once again said:
Not many use the Dolomite, but that is more a product of it not being a well known addition to the reactor than anything. I think most folks already using a ca reactor would give that go first since its just something to add to the reactor and you can forget about it.

Anyone dosing will most likely opt for the BRS due to the cost of the other Mg products that do the same thing. The exception there are the people trying to get rid of Bryopsis, in that case TechM is the only solution they would use.

If I were you, I would try the Dolomite first and see what that does to the Mg levels. You can always supplement it if it turns out it won't produce enough Mg for your system. Just make sure you get your system up to where you want it before adding. Reactors are designed to keep your levels steady, not raise/lower them when operating correctly.

Hi,

I am currently still using Zeomag, which is added to the reactor as well. I only use this because Pampee is hiding his source for dolomite from me. :lol:

Cheers,

Haha premium aquatics dolomite but callaways nursery sells it to but I have not been up there to see if it is chunky or pulverized.

I am trying to find dolomite gravel they use it fresh water tanks it comes I. 20 lbs bags. Dolomite in my opinion is same stuff as zeomag it look almost the same

Epsom salt is another cheap magnesium dosing product you can get that at cvs. I think it is even in the dosing calculator

@kuyatwo wrote:
Epsom salt is another cheap magnesium dosing product you can get that at cvs. I think it is even in the dosing calculator said:
Epsom salt alone is only good for making periodic corrections, dosing regularly leads to sulfate build-up and is the reason that they modified the magnesium diy recipe to reduce the ratio of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) to magnesium chloride(mag flake). :D I'll go check out a callaway's today...does it matter if it's pulverized or chunky??

Cheers,

You want chunky if it is I fine it will just pass through the reactor. If it is chunky we can split a bag I think they come in 40 lb bags and you go 1 pound dolomite to 10 pounds ca reactor media.

If to fine I can check lfs for dolomite gravel they use for freshwater tanks

This might be beyond the scope of the original question, but here it goes...

I thought that the ratios of mag CHLORIDE and mag SULFATE should vary depending on the calcium supplementation that is being used. If one is using calcium chloride to dose calcium, shouldn't the magnesium dose be lower in mag chloride and higher in mag sulfate? With the cal chloride and mag chloride, the chloride levels rise and mix with the salt in the system to create sodium chloride. (table salt)

And if one is using lime water or a calcium reactor, shouldn't the mag chloride be higher because there isn't another chloride supplement being used?

I have never seen a chart that says use xxx with cal chloride, or use xxx with lime water, ect... If someone has a chart or can point me in the direction to a link that shows it, that would be great.

Now to answer the original question...I am using BRS magnesium following Randys recipe for now. When it is gone, then I will reevaluate what I use.

I hope the above is on track and not a dream or something.

Bryan,

My understanding is that the concern over the ratio of sulfate to chloride only applies to the Mg supplement used, not the Calcium as well. My understanding is that the reason the calcium chloride is not a factor is due to the volume used. When mixing/using Mg solutions, the volume of product used and the amount of mg vs chloride/sulfate is much larger than the amount you utilize in the calcium mixtures.

Here is the article my Randy that discusses it. I see no mention of the calcium supplement being used as a concern, but maybe I have missed it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

If you can find the reference that states the combination of calcium supplement and Mg is an issue, please link it so I can review it as it would be something new and potentially problematic for folks who dose 2-part etc.

Supplement Solutions

The easiest way to use these supplements is to first make a solution in freshwater. Any of the three different recipes may be chosen, but the second and third are most useful for most aquarists.

1. Using Epsom salts only, dissolve 8 cups Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined by using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is the least preferred of the three, but can be acceptable if used for small amounts of supplementation, or if combined with at least 30% water changes per month. It is also a more reasonable choice if calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are used in large amounts to supplement calcium and alkalinity.

2. Using MAG flake only, dissolve 8 cups magnesium chloride hexahydrate in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is adequate, but not quite as balanced as #3 below.[ This choice is not a good way to go if calcium is supplemented by calcium chloride, because together they will force chloride excessively high.]

3. Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water, and use that to supplement magnesium in amounts determined using this linked online calculator, with the entry "Randy's Recipes 1 and 2 Versions A and B," and ignore for this purpose what those designations mean. This recipe is preferred, but its advantage over recipe #2 is minimal in most cases.

Note that combining the two materials in solution can result in some precipitation of calcium sulfate (calcium and sulfate are impurities in the MAG flake and the Epsom salts, respectively. To assure yourself that the two materials have fully dissolved, dissolve each separately in some freshwater before combining them. Some calcium sulfate precipitation is acceptable, and it is okay to let the solids get into the aquarium, assuming you can dose in a way that prevents them from landing on delicate organisms.

[Note also that this recipe (#3) is different from that given in my DIY two-part recipe, because in that case more magnesium sulfate is necessary to offset the rise in chloride that is provided by both the calcium chloride and the magnesium chloride.]

This is the only information that I have found so far. Still looking...

It seems that the 5 to 3 ratio that Randy recommends for two part is different than the above mentioned, but I am not sure why. Will look more tomorrow...my head now hurts. :?

@JHawk82 wrote:
Bimmerz ket me know what the have at calloways said:
They have the dolomite in pellet form, similar to GFO. I checked a Fresh water lfs and they had no idea what I was talking about but could have been a small communication issue going on. :lol:

Cheers,