How to prime Dart pump

You shouldn't have to prime it.

If something ever happens and it sucks in some air, then it will run dry until you get home to fix it and will most likely burn up the pump...

The pump should be in a location where it is below the standing water level, never above.

If your running a closed loop system, maybe I could see your issue and if this is the case, use a power head or pump to push some water into the intake side to 'prime' it.

Yes, the pump is below the water level in the refugium. Right now there is no water in the pvc. So the very first time I turn the pump on there will be no wter in the pump. Do I just get water into the pvc going into my pump and turn it on?

if the dart is below the water line and plumbed on a even level with the bulkead there will be water in the dart. no need to prime it.

That's the problem. The pump is below the water level but the lumbing goes up and over into the refugium. Is the only way I can go is to drill into my refugium?

that is how most people run their external pumps connected to a bulkhead on the side of the sump.

i have never seen plumbing done that way. i wouldnt run it that way as you can run a chance of running the pump dry and it only takes less than a minute of running it dry that pump can lock up from what reeflo told me

Thanks! I actually tried to find that on his site. Guess I didnt look good enough. Marc makes it sound fairly simple but I read an article in reekkeeping and it sounds much more difficult?

@JHawk82 wrote:
Thanks! I actually tried to find that on his site. Guess I didnt look good enough. Marc makes it sound fairly simple but I read an article in reekkeeping and it sounds much more difficult? said:
You can always plumb a T with a screw cap in it pointing up on the down side of the sump and fill it up with water that way then close it back off. Assuming you don't have a long flat run from the output, it will probably hold enough water in it when shut off to prime it up on startup again. I'd test that a few hundred times though to make sure it does prime it in case of unscheduled shut offs, aka power outages etc.

But drilling the sump would be best.

Is it really that easy? Do I just need to keep it real wet so I dont melt the acrylic? Marc's site says just a normal hole drill bit but the others say to get a special drill bit? I know Marc works with acrylic all the time I just want to make sure I dont destroy my sump. I would just pm him but I am sure he gets blown up with those anyways.

you let the drill bit do the work just alittle pressure on the drill bit acrylic is alot easier to work than glass. prob can take the sump to neptunes cove bill has drill bit there he will prob charge you a small fee