Dart Pump Question

For those using external pumps how do you keep the debris out of the pump? My dart was running fine for days then all the sudden now its a lot louder. I think there might be debris in the pump. Is this normal?

I have my drain feed into a filter sock in the sump. The sock kept a lucky fish from getting chopped up the other day too.

Mark

i put a strainer on mine. doesnt keep all out but doesnt have to be cleaned like a sock. stops the biggest concern though, large things like snails.

I saw the strainer they sel for like $90. I am just afraid if the strainer get clogged up then my pump with burn up. All the sudden it got loud over night. Is that common if it gets sand or something else inside the pump?

It could be sand, a snail shell, or something else (piece of ziptie, skimmer meshmod that got loose...)

A strainer shouldn't cost more than $10. I have them in my sump and take them off once a month to rinse them clean.

Hope this link helps: http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/822/Plastic-Strainers/strainer/0

Thanks Marc, that helps. I took the pump apart and there is nothing inside. I believe its either the motor or the bearings.

@JHawk82 wrote:
Thanks Marc said:
How old is it? Have you tried contacting Sequence yet? Here's my page about changing the seals.
http://www.melevsreef.com/dart_seals.html

If it is a new pump then I would contact Dart about warranty service or exchange. I am getting ready to send one back since it was new and the bearings were leaking and the pump started making a very loud noise. I have determined that the noise was coming from the propeller rubbing against the front flange.

See the black marks on the propeller assembly.

DSC025491.jpg
alt="">

I have a dart as well. It ran fine for about 1 1/2 years and then it started making noises. I contacted Sequence and they did an RMA for me, sent out a new (referb) pump and I sent the other one back. The bearings went out.

Definately contact them.

@Marc wrote:
[I]@JHawk82 wrote:[/I][quote="Thanks Marc said:
How old is it? Have you tried contacting Sequence yet? Here's my page about changing the seals.
http://www.melevsreef.com/dart_seals.html"]

The pump was well past its time. I believe it was almost 3 years old, so I didnt bother calling Sequence. It never leaked so I'm guessing the seals were fine. I did notice a lot of corrosion around the shaft. I will try to get out there and take some pics. Just a little side project now that I got the new one. Although, it would be nice to know I have a good backup if something went wrong with the new one.

Does anyone know if they started putting a different motor in the Dart pumps? I saw on aquacave that they had in capital letters **NEW BALDOR MOTOR**????

The Baldor motor is the preferred one. However, it is quite a bit larger than the original motor, so that may be something you need to consider.

@Marc wrote:
The Baldor motor is the preferred one. However said:
Uh oh, guess I should have considered that before buying it. As long as it isnt taller I should be ok. I might have to trim the plumbing back a little. Well, I should be getting the new one today so I will see what happens and post the results.

from your build log i think you have the newer baldur style motor. yours is different than my dart pump mine is all black in the back