Search results

1. S

Bristleworm question

Right now, I have nothing that will survive to turbulate my 4" deep sandbed in my main tank. (nassarius snails just die after about 2 days) Should I throw in some bristleworms? Or would that be considered bad practice? I have tried sand sifting stars, but I think they ate all of the other...
  2. S

GBTA is fading :(

I've had my green bubble tip for about two months. He is stuck to the back side of a rock, in the shade. I have flipped the rock over, but he moves right back to the same spot. At any rate, he eats silversides really well, about a 1" silverside every 5 days or so. Recently, he started losing...
  3. S

No water changes! But something is missing...

I have been using a Natureef Denitrifier for about a year now, and since all popular test levels have been maintained in the tank, I haven't done a water change. I have a refugium and a large skimmer, so phosphates and nitrates have been rock solid at '0.' I am growing macro in the fuge like...
  4. S

clean

I am very familiar with the beckett being prone to clogging, and I clean it out every couple of weeks. It is currently squeaky clean. Regarding the ammonia readout, I cannot recall the scale on the test kit, but the color ranges from yellow to green, and it is below the first mark. Should I...
  5. S

Expensive Skimmer + Dirty Water = No Skimmate?

I have a Trigger systems TS-500 which cost me around $400. It worked great for about 6 months. Now, my nitrates are over 100, phosphates are also high, and I get about an ounce of sad watery clear skimmate per week. I thought I would have gotten what I paid for so I figure I'm doing something...
  6. S

Need Denitrifier / Denitrator culture!

I've just set up a Natureef Denitrifier and need a starter culture. If you have a biological denitrifier/denitrator, I just need a small quantity of the muck (bacteria), to seed mine. Collecting a small amount won't disrupt your system. Please contact me.
  7. S

Feeder shrimp (not brine)

At the doctor fosters website, they sell 'feeder shrimp.' These look like small brown regular pepermint shrimp. Has anyone ever tried to breed these?
  8. S

Difficulty cycling a 210G, NOT a newbie!

Hey guys, I got a 210 tank all set up and running about 12 weeks ago and is still isn't cycling. It's got a Trigger system sump/refugium (20 lbs miracle mud and cheato), Trigger system skimmer, and 1/2 hp chiller. I have about 50 lbs of base rock in there and about 100lbs of live rock. 150...
  9. S

Metal Halide: Mogul VS HQI?

Can we make a list of pros and cons for the differences in these two types of bulbs? I'm thinking along the lines of relative output, energy efficiency, bulb life, ballast life, temperature, bulb cost, quality of light, reflectivity of light, and any other important factors. Thanks guys!