No water changes! But something is missing...

I have been using a Natureef Denitrifier for about a year now, and since all popular test levels have been maintained in the tank, I haven't done a water change. I have a refugium and a large skimmer, so phosphates and nitrates have been rock solid at '0.' I am growing macro in the fuge like crazy, harvesting almost every 6 weeks. I add essential elements supplement, along with Tech 1 Iodine, buffer, strontium, and drip Kalk and TurboCalcium as a top off on a weekly basis. I have loads of shrooms that I don't feed that do fine, and I have a few anemones (GBTA, rockflower) and they appear to be doing fine. Tons of little fish, like firefish, sailfin tang, blennies, gobies, anthias, dusters, and crabs. Lighting is about 100 watts of actinic and 300 watts at 12k, all T5. I have tons of Coraline algae growth, and very little micro algae growth of any kind except the macro in the fuge, the 4" deep sandbed is always white.

Here is the problem. I have tried 3 blonde nasos consecutively, all have died within a week from an unknown reason. Someone told me they have sensitive skin. Is there an essential element that I am lacking? Is there a buildup of something harmful that they don't make a test kit for (sulfates or sulfites?).

The only answer people give me is to start doing water changes again. I really hate doing water changes! I have 6 tanks, and I have to do water changes on 4 of them monthly, so I get my fill. Whether it is Kent, or ReaSea, or Reefcrystals, the salt manufactures have seemed to add all the right supplements to their salt, but the contents are a mystery to everyone except the manufactures. The manufacturer of the Natureef Denitrifier systems indicated that they have had reef tanks running for decades without waterchanges, adding only Mg, Calcium and Iodine.

I suppose the 3 ultimate questions are, 1) Are the salt manufacturers adding a secret combination of ingredients (I doubt they use evaporated seawater collected from coral reefs)? 2 )Is there a mystery chemical slowly building up in the tank? 3) Without doing a water change, what can be done to resolve the issue?

Thanks for expert input only, no opinions please.

are the blonde nasos coming from the same source?

you may try running a poly-filter and lots of carbon for awhile - they may soak up some unknown toxins in there that for some reason are affecting the nasos. good luck!

Hi,
I run a denitrator and I also maintain my water change schedule. :) There are far too many element's that we can't test for that can alter the water chemistry in unknown ways if depleted or allowed to build up in our systems.

Cheers,

have you actually looked at what is in synthetic salts? lots of minerals, that as bimmerz said above, cant be tested for. over 70 trace elements, again that cant be tested for. if these were not needed then they would not include them. you dont always deplete needed items, but those which are harmful also build up over time. there simply is no way to account for everything, hence the importance of water changes. now, you can definately do things to allow you to extend the time between water changes, but at some point you will need to do one.

also, i should note that just because life in your tank appears to be doing well, doesnt mean everything is actually doing well. they could just simply be getting by. if you can not add a new fish then there is definately something wrong in your water chemistry. you have to remember, the life already there have had a long time to acclimate to problems in your water, some a year long acclimation. this tends to make existing things be able to survive, and new ones impossible to keep.

I agree with toaster, if you have gotten all the tangs from the same source, then try a different one. Also running carbon would be a good idea if you don't already.

Sometimes I just assume I wasn't meant to keep a certain fish. I've tried firefish at least a dozen times over the years and I've never had one live more than a couple of days.