Search results

1. R

Getting dead rock ready to use again?

I've got 2 rubbermaid 30's full of dry dead rock from breaking down my tanks. I think I've had a long enough break. The rock has been out of water for about 6 months. What should I do to it to make it ready for use?
  2. R

I screwed up!

Hello all. Been a while. After reaching the point of feeling burned out on the hobby and stepping away from the club for a break, I decided to dive back in. My 75 wasn't looking so geat due to my negligence. I had done water changes and kept the skimmer clean but that's about it. So, I decided...
  3. R

Myths busted!

The topic at this evenings meeting was about angels. It was very informative and interesting. One of the biggest thing I took away from it is that the whole "angels aren't reef safe" thing is hogwash. Meaty LPS like Lobo's, Wellso's, Scoly's, etc. should not be kept with large angels. Definitely...
  4. R

Sea Hares really do work for hair algae.

I've been having a hair algae issue lately. Got tired of pulling it and some of it I couldn't get to. Went out a couple of days ago and got a Sea Hare. He has been munching down non-stop since putting him in the tank. I think he may get it done a lot quicker than I thought he would.
  5. R

Zebra bit my finger

I use a pair of stainless steel forceps to feed. Occasionally he (or she?) will grab onto the forceps and pull hard enough to nearly pull them out of my hand. So, I'm feeding yesterday and at one point the eel grabs the forceps and in the process topples a candycane colony. I feed a few more...
  6. R

Awesome urchin breeding project

Martin Moe sent me this. I think it's totally awesome and wish them the best of luck!
  7. R

Sea grass tank. Hmmmm.

The speaker at the frag swap today, Scott Fellman, talked a bit about sea grass tanks in his talk about biotopes. Really interesting talk. It got me to thinking. I think once I've got the 100g plumbed in with my existing 75, I'm going to move most everything from the 75 to the 100. Then I think...
  8. R

My grand plumbing plan.

Not to scale but you get the idea. alt=""> The 55g fuge under the 100 will be raised up 6". This will give about 8" of room for access. There will be no equipment in it, just fuge. The 100 will drain to it thru 1-1/2", then it will gravity drain via 2" to the equipment sump. The 75 will drain...
  9. R

Doin' the lunar thing

Well, just got my Neptune Lunar Simulator. Can't wait to get it hooked up to the ACjr. I'll let y'all know how it works.
  10. R

Are VorTechs worth it?

After having one on my 75 since Sat. morning, I would have to say absolutely yes. I've got it in reef crest mode set at about 70% and everything in my tank is standing taller or fuller. LPS, SPS, Toadstool, zoas, even the clams. I shoulda bit the bullet a long time ago. :nod:
  11. R

Caulastrea furcata can be aggressive.

Under actinics this morning. This is the first time I've seen anything but short feeders on this and I've had it at least a couple of years. The longer one you can see is ~4". It has completely melted a head of Caulastrea sp. that was sitting a couple inches away. alt="">
  12. R

My Acan

I've had it maybe 6 weeks now. alt="">
  13. R

Dosing pump is awesome

I recently purchased a Drew's Doser Peristaltic Dosing Pump to dose my alk. Got it all set up and running. I luv it! Every morning since installing it (a week now) I have tested alk and it has been 10dkh. Time to get another for the calcium. Oh, I'm running it with my ACjr. Comes on for 1 hr. in...
  14. R

My chalice after 5 months

It has grown quite a bit. Aug 26th, '08 - prop tank under T5's 10k/act alt=""> Jan 29th, '09 - display under 250w Poenix 14k/VHO act. (1st try with Melev photo box) alt="">
  15. R

How is A de 250w phoenix bulb labled?

I have bought them twice from 2 different places and they came in the same white box with the same markings on the bulb.
  16. R

IceCap 660/430 question.

On their website it states -
  17. R

New Seio prop pump

Anyone tried these yet? http://riopump.net/new_products_folder/seioprop_desc.html
  18. R

Oregon Blue Tort question

Last weekend I picked up a very nice frag from J_G. It is looking very happy in my prop tank right now. I'm wanting to move it to the display soon. Will it be happier up high, down low, or somewhere in between? (2x 250w Phoenix 14k over a 75g) TIA, Mike
  19. R

Another "Thumbs Up" for Reef Nutrition Arcti-pods

I have a Yellow Watchman Goby. I have gotten used to seeing him only once every couple of months. Since a few days after I started feeding Arcti-Pods I have seen him almost every day.
  20. R

Saw my Harlequin Serpent star

He's a really secretive sea star. I see my Red Serpent every time I look in the tank. I can look around a bit and see my Yellow Brittle's arm hanging out somewhere. The Harlequin, 1st time in at least 2 months. Wish I could get a pic of him.