Are VorTechs worth it?

After having one on my 75 since Sat. morning, I would have to say absolutely yes.
I've got it in reef crest mode set at about 70% and everything in my tank is standing taller or fuller. LPS, SPS, Toadstool, zoas, even the clams.
I shoulda bit the bullet a long time ago. :nod:

The speed goes up & down random amounts. It will go from 100% to say 30%, then back up to 80%, then down to 0%, etc. Creates some awesome random turbulent flow.

@DaveG99 wrote:
whats reef crest mode? said:
It's just very random. It's not like short pulse where it pulses at regular intervals to create a wave. It will go to 100% then down to 40% then to 80% then to 50% then to 100% etc.. There is no pattern..... Just random. :)

EDIT: I got beat to the punch but you get the idea... Random. :)

@DaveG99 wrote:
Sounds interesting. I've never seen one in action. Might bit a bit much for anything under a 75 gallon though. said:
They've got a dial knob, you can adjust the maximum power to whereever you want, and the random modes will go up to, but not higher, than you set that at... They're incredibly versatile...

And yeah, I was a long time member of the "That kinda money for a glorified powerhead, ya' gotta be KIDDING ME?!?!?!" club too... I've got 3 of 'em now and love 'em...

@DaveG99 wrote:
Sounds interesting. I've never seen one in action. Might bit a bit much for anything under a 75 gallon though. said:
They also have a less powerful version the MP20, not as versatile or as much flow as the MP40 and you can alway's upgrade the driver on the MP 20 to make it a MP40 if you get a bigger tank. A 75G is not too small for the MP40 model imo.

Cheers,

what do you guys think would be best for a 58g (Oceanic; 36" wide)? The mp20 or mp40?

i've been thinking about getting one as well, but not sure which one to get. i know i can upgrade the mp20, but it looks like you save a little money if you know you need the mp40 in the first place.

thanks!

I bought two and hooked them up last week. I agree with the others. They are definately worth the money. The great thing is the amount of adjustment they have in them. If you ever think you will upgrade your tank then get the MP40. If you know for a fact then stay with the MP20.