I screwed up!

Hello all. Been a while.
After reaching the point of feeling burned out on the hobby and stepping away from the club for a break, I decided to dive back in.
My 75 wasn't looking so geat due to my negligence. I had done water changes and kept the skimmer clean but that's about it. So, I decided to give it a good going over.
Well, apparently I disturbed my sand bed a bit too much and crashed my tank. It wiped out everything except for some Snake Polyps, a few snails, and one little blue-leg hermit.
My first thought was screw it, I'm done. After getting over the initial disgust with myself however, I decided that it is getting set back up again.
So now I'm at the hard part - deciding what I'm going to do this time. I have wanted for a long time to have a carpet nem with a harem of Saddleback Clowns so....
I think that is what I'm going to center the tank around this time. Build thread coming soon.

Anyway, just wanted to pop on and say hi.

Mike, it is good to hear from you and glad that you decided to stay in the hobby. We all hit low points from time to time and you should look at this as a way to re-build your tank the way you really want it. You have all the skills and with a re-kindled enthusiastic approach, we are looking forward to a great looking tank in your build thread.

Ive gone thru the same feelings with my tank a number of times. When it's in your blood it's darn near impossible to walk away. Glad to have you reenergized and back around the reef scene.

you should look at this as a way to re-build your tank the way you really want it said:
Exactly! When I first set up the 75 I had been in the hobby about a year. I added stuff that I liked with the only thought being "will this be okay with what's already there". As a result I had a neat looking "rock pile/garden tank".
Now that I have several more years under my belt, I've found that I don't care much for the rockpile/garden tank look, I don't like deep sand, and I want a more species specific/biotope style tank.
When it's in your blood it's darn near impossible to walk away. said:
My name is Mike and I am an addict! [smilie=lol.gif]

Well, apparently I disturbed my sand bed a bit too much and crashed my tank. It wiped out everything except for some Snake Polyps, a few snails, and one little blue-leg hermit.
Wow! That will crash your tank? I have a deep sand bed in my 65 gallon. It has a plenum in 2/3 of it. Moving the sand around will crash the tank? How does that work? Thanks!

Mike, I am on this side of town, so, if you need a hand with something, let me know!

David

Sorry to hear that Mike, but I'm glad that you've got a plan in mind. Should be invigorating. At least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)

@DFW wrote:
[quote=" said:
Wow! That will crash your tank? I have a deep sand bed in my 65 gallon. It has a plenum in 2/3 of it. Moving the sand around will crash the tank? How does that work? Thanks!

Mike, I am on this side of town, so, if you need a hand with something, let me know!

David"]

And remember, he is referring to a deep sand bed. If your like me, and have a shallow sand bed (<2") you can move it around, siphon it, etc and nothing happens.... hence why I PERSONALLY don't like deep sand beds and prefer the new REMOTE deep sand bed techniques.

ANYWAY. I hope you recover and remember this hobby tests your patience [smilie=wink.gif]

yeah one of the reasons ill be using a shallow bed on my new tank.

hey Mike if you want any frags let me know and welcome back.

@SaltNewbie wrote:
yeah one of the reasons ill be using a shallow bed on my new tank. said:
I would probably consider bare bottom if not for the fact that S. haddoni likes to sink it's foot in some sand.

If I were to mess with a DSB again, it would be a remote set-up that I could isolate from the rest of the system via a couple of valves.

@SaltNewbie wrote:
hey Mike if you want any frags let me know and welcome back. said:
That is greatly appreciated though there's not going to be much coral going in this time. Probably just a couple nice LPS. I'm figuring on at least a full 1/3 of the foot print being dedicated to the carpet nem. I just wish the really nice ones (blue, purple, red) weren't so dang expensive.