Recent content by stratman

1. S

DIY skimmer waste container

Here is a pic of my DIY collection container. Its just shy of $8 worth of parts. The odor filter is a Lee's cheapie carbon filter. :) alt=""> alt="">
  2. S

Recommend a small table saw

I have a low end 10" Craftsman table saw, but it's difficult to use for tedious work. I need a small benchtop table saw. I had a 4" Dremel 580 growing up (did lots of woodworking & model building), but don't have it anymore. It also seems that no one is making anything smaller than 8" these...
  3. S

Mag-Drive pumps... issues?

I have ran mainly TAAM (Rio HF) and Mag-Drive submersible pumps. I have found Mag-Drive pumps to be much more reliable and I like their beefy design. But I have found that I seem to get broken impeller shafts quite a bit. Is this the same experience most of you have had? How much life should...
  4. S

Need Mr. & Mrs. Smith for my mushrooms...

So, we all love mushrooms... until they take over. Now I have them in places I'd rather not mention :shock: . (j/k! like on base rock that I can't easily remove and make mushroom free). Ok you mushroom assassins... what's your trick? I certianly don't mind if there is a way I can get...
  5. S

What do you test for?

I'm refining my testing parameter list and schedule. I know there is a good deal of variance to what people test and how often. Chime in and list out what you test for, and please say where your emphasis is (SPS, LPS, softies, etc.). Maybe we can all draw some insight on some of the less...
  6. S

RO/DI & bladder tank help

Ok, I have installed several RO/DI systems similar to Marc's kit, but never one for a kitchen. I plan on buying his kit soon and want to know how to expand it. He didn't have the info I was looking for, and I haven't really been able to Google it up... I want to add a bladder tank before the...
  7. S

Filter sock cleaning/rotation

I added a filter sock to my setup a few months ago and want to hear some opinions... How often do you clean/change yours? How do you clean it? What micron size do you run? Has it affected your skimmer (cut down or increased skimmate)? If you wash/re-use yours, how long or how many times...
  8. S

Rics - Growth question

Any ideas on this one would be appreciated! I want my rare Ric to thrive. I got a single Orange/Black Ric as a hitchhiker on free piece of live rock about six months ago. :) He is doing ok, but is not growing or spreading at all. All my other softies and LPS grow like weeds. As Marc puts...
  9. S

Acutal power consumption by pumps

I'm not sure this is the right forum... but anyway... I bought a handly little Kilowatt meter off eBay recently. Upon testing amp draw and wattage for my mag-grive pump, I got results a little different than I expected. If a Mag-drive 9.5 is labeled to pull 93 watts, but is only pulling 60...
  10. S

Where to buy spectral aluminum sheets?

Can anyone point me to a local vendor where I can get 24x48 (or longer) sheets of spectral aluminum for building reflectors? I need to make a couple of retrofit kits for custom light setups, and they are odd sized (so I can't just order them online).
  11. S

Want internal overflow, but have tempered bottom... ideas?

Was wondering... Will it work to drill down low on the backside for a drain, or does it have to be on the bottom to achieve good flow to the sump? I've never drilled a tank before, but I know that nothing can be done with tempered glass bottoms. I've searched around, but haven't really...
  12. S

Pls help save my Naso, she won't eat...

Please, I'm taking all suggestions. I don't want to lose this fish, but don't know what else to try... :cry: I'm about to do another 20G water change with premix from my LFS, but I cannot find anything wrong with my water. I have a beautiful female Naso tang about 6" long. I've had her about...
  13. S

Got a 6G NanoCube today... taking all MOD suggestions!!

I picked up a used 6G NanoCube from DNA today :D (they sell their displays cheap after they use them, fyi they have another 6G on the used floor as of noon Fri). Anyone want to suggest their favorite, weirdest, most clever mods? I'll entertain any idea, and post through each one as I do it...