Want internal overflow, but have tempered bottom... ideas?

Was wondering... Will it work to drill down low on the backside for a drain, or does it have to be on the bottom to achieve good flow to the sump? I've never drilled a tank before, but I know that nothing can be done with tempered glass bottoms. I've searched around, but haven't really noticed any tanks done this way.

In my head, this should work... but are there any hidden problems with this? This would be attempted on a 30G Oceanic cube tank.

A 90 degree elbow plumbed into the bulkhead pointed up toward the top works just as well as drilling the hole in the bottom of the tank. If you're also bringing the return up through the back, one more 90 adds some head loss, but if you keep the rest of the pipe pretty straight, should be negligible.

Thanks, Ashlar that's what I was hoping to hear :). Won't the thicker glass on the Oceanic make it better for the drilling (less likely to crack)?

bimmerzs, I'll search out that overflow as well. Thanks!

@A Barrett wrote:
I would use a cutting torch before drilling..lots of sanding to come but it will be in one piece Robert said:
Use a cutting torch on glass? I've never heard of this method before, please explain.

my mother was a artist ,glass, ceramic, she had several kilns and glass cutting thingy’s and she cut tempered glass all the time...drilling will almost always shatter due to the tensile strength of the glass but you could possibly cut a pilot hole close to the diameter needed. Maybe we should ask Brainaic??
@GraviT wrote:
[I]@A Barrett wrote:[/I][quote="I would use a cutting torch before drilling..lots of sanding to come but it will be in one piece Robert said:
Use a cutting torch on glass? I've never heard of this method before, please explain."]

The internal overflow with the back drilled glass is very doable...

See page 2 mainly of my display anemone build log for some info (That's how this tank is setup)

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=17160

I've also just drilled a 40 gallon Oceanic Cube in the back and will be using an internal overflow for it as well...

Serk, that is perfect. That's exactly what I had in mind... now, hmmm, I wonder if Marc has time to do an overflow for me.....

Plus, I probably need to read mucho mas before i try to drill glass for the first time.

Thanks again!

And just FYI, in case ya' didn't know there are 2 sets of the diamond tipped drill bits available for club members to borrow, one on the east side and one on the west side of the metroplex... I've got a template I've made for 2 of the bits as well...

See here for more info:

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=27282