DIY skimmer waste container

Here is a pic of my DIY collection container. Its just shy of $8 worth of parts.
The odor filter is a Lee's cheapie carbon filter. :)

IMG_1006.jpg
alt="">

IMG_1007.jpg
alt="">

Wouldn't fit under the stand where I have it, but it would be too cool. I don't think I'd ever look at green beer quite the same way.

I built this silly little thing because I couldn't fit the Trigger one or anyone else's container, the flanges are always too wide.

Pretty nifty...

Trying to think, can anyone think of a way to get a small, but slightly bigger than the neck of the bottle, floatable ball in there? Maybe even a stryofoam peanut?

Something so that, if the waste level raises to the top, it cuts off the flow and won't allow anymore in to prevent a mess...

I'll ponder on that. But then I'd have to empty this container, clean it and put it back. As it is, I keep an eye on it, and just swap it out when I finished my latest 2L of Diet Coke.

I don't even pour my skimmate out... The trashman inherits it. I figured it might help with some biological processes in the landfill! :D

@Serk wrote:

I think Serk was talking about one of those threads that start our with...."My skimmer went nuts".

I had one of those when my urchin spawned...My skimmer went crazy and would have really caused a mess if it wasn't totally in my sump. I'm sure it overflowed a 2L bottle.

Instead of putting the ball in the 2L bottle, maybe you can make some kind of float valve after the bottle. Like in a pill bottle or something similar.

Yeah, I've only had that happen once and it was a negative reaction to some type of additive I did. It was when I was first getting started, I don't even remember what it was. It was crazy foam! Luckily the Euro-Reef pulled it back out pretty quick, and because my skimmer sits right against the edge of my sump, a good chuck of the foam went on the floor.

As most of my projects are.... this was targeted at guarding against my laziness. 8)

I'm game for any foat valve contraption that would work. Any ideas or links are welcome!

stratman wrote:
Here is a pic of my DIY collection container. Its just shy of $8 worth of parts.
The odor filter is a Lee's cheapie carbon filter. :)

I like your idea and want to try it. What is a "Lee's cheapie carbon filter?" Do you make it or buy it?

Just a note; with my ev-120, if I can make the bottle air tight, when the liquid level reaches the "exhaust pipe", it prevents the skimmer from making bubbles so it can't overflow.

Thanks.

Terry

@TLSAA wrote:
I like your idea and want to try it. What is a "Lee's cheapie carbon filter?" Do you make it or buy it? Just a note; with my ev-120 said:
Here is the Lee's filter. It was $1.99 for the two pack I think at Dallas North.

635e8148c980933ab96b73483b89cf12.jpg
alt="">