Mag-Drive pumps... issues?

I have ran mainly TAAM (Rio HF) and Mag-Drive submersible pumps. I have found Mag-Drive pumps to be much more reliable and I like their beefy design. But I have found that I seem to get broken impeller shafts quite a bit. Is this the same experience most of you have had? How much life should I expect to get out of an impeller? Or am I just not cleaning them enough?

Also, anyone know what the difference between the 'A' and 'B' pumps are? Marine Depot only sells one impeller, but Danner's siteshows a 12A and a 12B model. Both are standard pumps, not venturi.

I have used Mags for years... I have never had an impeller break on me. I have had start up issues with the 5 and 7, but not on the 3, 9 or 12.

I would look at how you are using them. If you dose a lot of kalk, you might also want to start cleaning them on a regular basis. If you start/stop them a lot that kind of thing.

I don't dose Kalk, but I have been guilty of dumping additives in the return end of the sump when I'm in a hurry :oops: .

I stop the pump for about 30 minutes a day when I feed the evening food. Otherwise it runs 24/7 submerged in my sump. I have about 4 ft of head with an original model SCWD and a inline check valve. Best I can tell the check valve/SCWD cut about 250gph off the actual flow.

@stratman wrote:
Well the start and stop will put stress on the shafts. Have you considered adding a ball valve to stop the flow while you feed instead? I'm not sure that would reduce the stress, but it may. When you have replaced or cleaned them out before, have you noticed calcification inside?

No, no calicification. Just the usual gunk that builds up inside all the plumbing, a slighy slimy film. Otherwise, ok condition.

I'm planning on removing all the soft plumbing and hard pluming everthing, I add a ball valve then. Ill probably T it back to the fuge end, do I can just divert it instead of shutting off the pump flow entirely.

I have had some troubles with cracked ceramic shafts with Mag Pumps and ended up attributing it to not taking the impeller cover off carefully. If you do not pull it straight up and off you could (and I have) break the shaft. In other words do not wiggle left and right to get it loose from the gasket/seal. It really bugs me that Supreme will not sell the shaft only. I have 3 or 4 Mag 9.5 impllers and no shafts. If anyone knows a source for ceramic shafts that would be great.

the difference between 12a and 12b is when they were made the older ones prior to 2000 i think but dont quote me are the a's and the b's are newer.

@Nazrac wrote:
the difference between 12a and 12b is when they were made the older ones prior to 2000 i think but dont quote me are the a's and the b's are newer. said:
There must be more than date, their website sells a different impeller for each. Wondering if they are compatible or not...

no its just when it was made. check this link. i have a mag 12A and that is what i read from what i can find. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9998+4715&pcatid=4715

@SALT wrote:
I have had some troubles with cracked ceramic shafts with Mag Pumps and ended up attributing it to not taking the impeller cover off carefully. If you do not pull it straight up and off you could (and I have) break the shaft. In other words do not wiggle left and right to get it loose from the gasket/seal. It really bugs me that Supreme will not sell the shaft only. I have 3 or 4 Mag 9.5 impllers and no shafts. If anyone knows a source for ceramic shafts that would be great. said:
Hey,

Hope you kept the broken shaft pieces. You can stop by a true hobby shop and grab some carbon fiber rods in the diameter's you need. Works like a charm. hth

Cheers,

now the carbon fiber sounds good but i had a problem using them with my homemade maximod shafts. They basically acted as a reamer and bored out the airline but maybe it wont do the same to a mag drive impeller. But you can always go to a welding shop and get some 316ss welding rod. I will measure the diameter with a set of calipers on my mag 12/18 if you need the measurement.

HMMMM Carbon Fiber or Stainless Steel Welding rod HUH? Well I did keep the shafts so I can compare them. They are for Mag 9.5 though not a 12 or 18. I guess it is time to pull out the yellow pages and make a few calls. Nazrac, if you do get a chance to pull out those calipers let me know what you measure.

Thanks for the ideas folks :D

BTW What is the best way to cut either of these, carbon fiber or welding rod?

I got rid of my mags for heat reasons and found the quiet ones very reliable, knock on wood , they have ran flawless with no cleaning or maint at all.