Recent content by DeMarcusR

1. D

need large tubs for new water

I'm in a bit of a pickle.. I'm upgrading to 450G and the water storage tanks I have all have openings on them that are too small for the circulating pumps I have; i'm unable to mix the salt water :(Does anyone have any large troughs that I may borrow to mix water?  I need about 200G worth of...
  2. D

extremely high humidity in aquarium room...

As the title says, the humidity is extremely high. So high that my LED fixtures are pretty much staying soaked therefore causing the GFI breaker to constantly trip. Over the past few days, I've had the door open to the room in addition to having a fan in the entrance to blow in fresh air from...
  3. D

Cant rid myself of the nuissance algea

Okay - so in the past I stopped maintaining my aquarium; that said - I fully expected the GHA to grow out of control. About six months ago, I started trying to get it back under control. I loaded up the tank with algea eating animals - 4 tangs, foxface, snails, etc... Most all the snails have...
  4. D

anyone have experience with a literMeter III

I've been sitting on a brand new litermeter for a little over six months now.. I've just decided to unbox it tonight.. I've read the instruction manual front to back three times now.. my issue at the moment is priming the pumps.. I've let both pumps run for about 30 minutes with no luck on...
  5. D

problem with PH calibration on acJR and acIII

IF you have no experience with the acJR or acIII - please do not respond.. This is a serious question for the folks who have used the two referenced products... I just purchased another ph probe and have tried calibrating it.. I've literally just spent the past four hours trying to get the...
  6. D

why are acans so expensive????

Could some of you professional coral keeper please shed some light on my peon brain.. I'd like to know why the heck acans are so expensive? They appear not to be any different (care wise) than the average favia coral.. No outrageous lighting requirements or anything of that nature. I'm seeing...
  7. D

Trouble with AC3 Program

I finally bit the bullet and bought an AC3 - connected it to a wireless bridge and tried to rename some of the timers to fit my needs. I renamed the PM1% to FUG$ on A04 For some reason, when I ran the program, the FUG light on A04 (plug 04) never comes on, even if I manually turn it on from...
  8. D

Need suggestion for new Return pump

My Little giant 4mdqx-sc just seized or all out died. I turned it off because I was too lazy (sicK) to top off. Last night I dump water into the tank - flip the switch and well, no groaning from the pump. I haven't taken it apart yet to double check BUT I was going to replace it anyways...
  9. D

running return from remote location?

I was curious if anyone here ran their return pump from a remote location and what the experience has been doing so. I am getting ready to start on my 215g and I really dont want to run the return pump in the stand because of the noise. The pump is a Little Giant 4mdqx-sc. What I'd like to do...
  10. D

hard coral ID please..

I have an orange mass thats been slowly taking over a rock and has now moved to another. I'm not mad at it - I just dont know what the heck it is... Any idears? alt=""> alt="">
  11. D

Need to relocate torch coral

I have a torch coral that was purchased on an aqua-cultured rock piece with some zoanthids. Over the past two weeks - it has decided to start growing. Although I'm glad for the sudden growth, I dont want it to kill the zoanthids or the encrusting cap below it. My problem is moving it without...
  12. D

GBTA bleached

I've had a gbta for well over a year - about six months ago after moving to the 120 - it started bleaching. I know it's eating - it readily accepts food. It has two percula clowns hosting every now and then. Its now in my 180 not under direct halide lighting but pretty close. It's mounted...
  13. D

luminarc reflectors and double ended bulbs

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought double ended bulbs needed protective uv coating - normally provided by the glass covering of pendants.... I'd like to get luminarc fixtures need to confirm if this is true or now http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1209
  14. D

PH swings - any suggestions?

I just reconnected (and calibrated) my PH probe to my ac jr and noticed that the PH on my 180 is 7.5. What is the best way to raise the ph back to 8.xx? (I tried the search function here for 30 mins before posting. guess "PH" is too vague to yield decent results)
  15. D

too much flow?

I just finished re-plumbing my 180 and almost had a small flood in the living room. I'm running a little giant 4mdqx-sc, which should work out just fine. This is the same pump that was on the tank when I got it - Should be less flow since I have the chiller plumbed into it. Details: Return...