luminarc reflectors and double ended bulbs

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought double ended bulbs needed protective uv coating - normally provided by the glass covering of pendants....

I'd like to get luminarc fixtures need to confirm if this is true or now
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1209

Kinda weird.. the title says reflector but the description says pendant.. two different animals. If it's a full pendant, with cover, socket, and glass, you're good to go. If it's just the reflector, then yah, you'd need a piece of glass to cover it.

water absorbs a lot of UV, same with the glass of the bulb I believe. Some will still get through unless there's some type of glass but I think the little that will get through will harm you more than the corals via tans and blindness =P

That said - it's a reflector not originally designed for aquariums or aquarium bulbs.

Maybe the aquarium distributor expects niave buyers or buyers to be adding glass spray protectors.

@chrissreef wrote:
That said - it's a reflector not originally designed for aquariums or aquarium bulbs. said:
What..... :? :? Maybe not originally designed for tanks, but Lumenarc's are one of the best reflectors made and used over many many tanks around the world.

should I scrap the whole double ended idea and just go with single end and luminarcs?

I know my next question will probably spark a huge debate but, without going into too much detail, which is better - single end or double end?

@bimmerzs wrote:
[I]@chrissreef wrote:[/I][quote=" That said - it's a reflector not originally designed for aquariums or aquarium bulbs. said:
What..... :? :? Maybe not originally designed for tanks, but Lumenarc's are one of the best reflectors made and used over many many tanks around the world."]

100% agree - great reflectors!! =) I believe the design was purchased from a mfg that designed for the agriculture industry though... which I don't believe have to worry about UV emitting bulbs =P

check out lumenbright reflectors... same distributor as the lumenarcs - but it's their own design and designed for aquariums =)

@djr2001 wrote:
should I scrap the whole double ended idea and just go with single end and luminarcs? I know my next question will probably spark a huge debate but said:
Either/or.

I"m going to get some Luminarc Minis for my tank, and it'll use SE Mogul sockets. I will put the piece of glass in place to keep the bulb and the reflectors clean.

Double ended most definitely need some UV protective glass. I use 400 watt single ended 10lk ReefFlux bulbs. I do not use glass on my Lumenarc reflectors and would not ever. I recently had my first bulb in six years explode in the tank. I did have to pick the glass out of the tank. I have a light meter and the difference between my tank and another that has glass on his Lumenarcs is incredible.
I do not think it was half the PAR.

Rick, I've been using spider reflectors for a long time. And heard that the L3 reflectors are 300% more effective. If the glass cuts down on that somewhat, I'm still ahead of the game.

And if I can get starfire glass, even better. :twisted:

the l3 de fixtures come with a piece of tempered glass that slide in on the bottom. Becareful too I broke mine cost an arm and a leg to get it replaced

Well Marc I will come over with a light meter and show you the difference between the par with no glass and with glass. You can not clean the glass before I get there, since that is the state I see most glass on the light fixtures. Then you can clean it and we will get a another reading, you will really be surprised at how much the par will go up with no glass in the way. I just wipe my bulbs and reflectors with damp rag regularly.

Rick, I really would like to get your meter at some point. What I would like to do is measure my lights the way they are now. Then clean the bulbs and reflectors, and measure them again. Then swap out my current light rack for the new one use L 3 Minis, and test with and without the glass.

I don't know when all of this will happen, but when the time gets near I'll send you a PM to see if you'd be willing to let me borrow it. I'd probably need it for a couple of days going through that transition.

Rick on a totally non related subject have you measured your Reeflux's over time yet?

I don't have a meter but my 250s seem significantly dimmer even to the eye now then when I put them in and I put them in June I think.