hard coral ID please..

I have an orange mass thats been slowly taking over a rock and has now moved to another. I'm not mad at it - I just dont know what the heck it is...

Any idears?

dscf1583.jpg
alt="">

dscf1584.jpg
alt="">

Looks like orange encrusting Montipora sp. to me.

I think that likely is an encrusting form of Porites. If I get a chance I will look for it in the Veron Corals of the World book and see if I can find a match.

Um ya that's a problem, immediately remove and bring to me!

Seriously though It's most likely an encrusting Montipora as Marc said but could be a porites even thogh I've never seen a bright orange porites. Either way keep your calcium and alk inline and let it grow!

Because of the larger pits I am going with Montipora as well. If the polyps were out it would help. Impossible to tell from a picture, but possibly M. undata.

If you are interested, Look through these images and see if there is something close. Coral Id Page

Well in going through the Veron book, I note it says "Porites species may be the most difficult of all major genera to identify." At another point it says "Porites superficially resembles Montipora".

So differences can be slight and looking a single picture isn't the best way to get a handle on the genus of a coral. Still I note that Porites Australiensis on page 286 of volume 3 looks similar shape and texture and it does note in the write up that the coral is usually cream or yellow, but may be bright colors in shallow water.

Or it may be a monti. Nice looking coral nevertheless!

My official identification is it is a beautiful orange coral! :)

I agree with Gary on the fact that ID of corals is tough enough when you have it in hand, dead and bleached under a microscope. Observing a living specimen is slightly less difficult. A picture is almost impossible. There are three possible corals that this could be (Montipora and Porites being the top two)...

Having said all that it <i>appears </i> to be a Montipora to me. If you want a more exact idea or why I think so, check out <i>Montipora efflorescens</i> specifically. I am NOT identifying the species here, just one of the encrusting members that share characteristics with the one pictured. As bad as it sounds; the tissue here (I believe; especially around the corralites) is the give away of being a Montipora instead of Porites (but still VERY close call, really could go either way with the limitations of pictures). If you want to send me a frag I could always check it out closer :lol:

Again like Gary said these are Crazy difficult to ID specifically. Porites and Montipora's overlap in many of their characteristics; so much so they used to be considered the same Genus. Then you have the fact that Montiporas are the second most abundant corals in terms of species, and so on.

Anyone that tries to ID down to the species level is most likely masochistic in nature :)

The online version of Veron's books are at http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralsearch.php

As great as these books and this site is, it was never meant for identification. If you would like a book on Montipora or Acropora species level ID, let me know and you can borrow mine or I can tell you where to get them. They both are upper Biology college level texts, so there is a little learning curve, but it is not too bad (at least not as bad as the microscope part!)

My guess was based upon the fact that I had a coral that looked exactly like that back in 2004-2005. Even then, I could have been wrong IDing it at that time.

Just tell people that you think it is an encrusting montipora, and you'll stay of the ID Police's radar. :wink: