Recent content by clownfish74

1. C

Little white circle things on everything - What are they?

[I have noticed that I have a whole bunch of these little white circles on everything, the glass, rocks, turbo snail shells, everything. I took a magnifying glass to get a close up and think I saw them moving and they have these little fiber things coming out one side. What are they? Are they...
  2. C

Turbo's dying :-( - Whats the cause?

[My 58 gallon tank had a major problem with algae so I bought a total of 6 turbo snails and a teaquin (sp) snail to help combat the problem. I also have sand snails (?) and blue legged crabs. One of the turbos died within a day (if he was ever alive to begin with) since bought from the LFS and...
  3. C

Does green algae kill corolean?

[sorry i did not know how to spell that but there is lots of green turf like algae on my live rock and the rocks around it and i had alot of corolean on the live rock but i just recently got two turbo snails and they seem to be eating the green stuff but it seems that my corolean is less as well...
  4. C

Where did my blenny go? - Not seen for about 5 days now...

[I bought a bi-color blenny (at least I think thats what they called him) in order to eat algae in my tank. At first he would hide in the rocks and hopefully was happy. I have not seen him in about 5 days now. Is this normal?]
  5. C

Live sand - what all does it have? - How long does it take to become live?

[When I started my tank a couple months ago, I bought 1 pound of live sand and have a 5 pound live rock. How long does it normally take to get the sand to become live sand? How can you tell if it is live sand? IE: What little critters make it live sand? So far i've seen medium sized green...
  6. C

What is the best protein skimmer? - If ease of use and cost are considered.

[Well, I still don't think my current skimmer is working correctly or I am doing something wrong so I may have to break down and buy a new or another skimmer. I was looking for suggestions as to the best skimmer if performance, cost, and ease of use were all considered. I have a 58 gallon tank...
  7. C

Second stage of algae growth - Little brown things...

[Well, most of the crappy algae on the sand floor is now gone, or at least dead. It seems there is "leftover" algae on the sand floor that is what is left over from the first algae bloom from starting up the tank. Now I have little brown things all over the tank, especially on the tank glass...
  8. C

Skimmer working or not - How to tell?

[I was finally able to hook up my skimmer over the weekend, leak-free (mostly) but it didnt seem to do anything but make bubbles??? I have a generic skimmer with a tube to allow the air in and a mag 5 connected to it. I have tubing at the input of the mag 5 so it takes water farther away from...
  9. C

New tank issues - Brown algae?

[My tank has been live for 1 1/2 weeks and I have the following measurements... Ammonia = ~1.25 ppm Nitrite = ~0.50 ppm Nitrate = ~5.00 ppm There is brown stuff on my white sand bed that covers probably 90% of the tank floor. I started to cut back on how long I have my lights on and got 5...
  10. C

Skimmer has leak - how to fix? - Where oh where is acrylicman :-)

[My skimmer seems to have a leak inbetween the top part of the black section and the plastic right above it. After some posts on the "New to the Hobby" group I saw that the leak looks to be coming from the inside of the skimmer. I think this because it looks discolored from the surrounding...
  11. C

Skimmer has leak - Is it broken or not? and how to fix?

[I finally got the motivation to hook up my skimmer, took 2 trips to Home Depot, worked out all the plumming leaks, and noticed that there's a slow leak in the skimmer itself. First, is that normal? Second, is it fixable? Third, if fixable, how? The leak is inbetween the top part of the black...
  12. C

Some additional newbie questions. - The real test of making the tank live...

[I bought my first live rock yesterday (but thats another story altogether - anyways) and put that with Texas holey rock that i've had in the tank a while. I also got a fish and some live sand (only 1 pound - hope to get some more from Maldivan this weekend). Anyway, I put the fish in the tank...
  13. C

What does live-rock and live-sand eat?

[I'm about to get live rock and sand and was curious if they ate anything? Or do they just eat ammonia? Thanks.]
  14. C

Any thoughts on rock arrangement... - What to do and what to avoid

[All, I'm in the process of arranging my rock in my tank. I currently have what I think is 110 pounds of Texas holey rock and will be getting live-rock soon. I want to know if there are any "strategies" of placing the rock or is it a do what you think looks good kind of thing. I started out...
  15. C

What to use to test water? - Like ph, salinity, ammonia, etc

[What should I use to measure all the wonderful water qualities like pH, ammonia, salinity, etc? Thanks.]