Second stage of algae growth - Little brown things...

[Well, most of the crappy algae on the sand floor is now gone, or at least dead. It seems there is "leftover" algae on the sand floor that is what is left over from the first algae bloom from starting up the tank.

Now I have little brown things all over the tank, especially on the tank glass. How do I get rid of it?

Should I scrape it off? Add something?

Also, should I put some calcium stuff in the tank to help the corraline grow?

Thanks in advance for all your help.]

[It sounds like a diatom bloom to me, and you can scrape the glass to clean it off. A water change would be best at this point, and then in a few days, post your water's parameters.

If your tank is a 55g or smaller, you might opt to use B-Ionic to keep your Calcium and Alkalinity levels steady.]

[Prolly going to have a nice layer of brown scum on top of your water as well unless your skimmer/overflow is set to pull it off. Marc's trick is to use lay a paper towel flat on the water's surface and then lift it off to remove the oil slick/surface trash from your tank.
Great trick that works well. Go to Sam's and stock up on cheap paper towels though. My last diatom bloom went for days for some reason so I was using nearly a roll a day on the 75 gal tank.
Rev. Chuck]