Live sand - what all does it have? - How long does it take to become live?

[When I started my tank a couple months ago, I bought 1 pound of live sand and have a 5 pound live rock. How long does it normally take to get the sand to become live sand? How can you tell if it is live sand? IE: What little critters make it live sand?

So far i've seen medium sized green things that look like shrunken down green beans.

I also have quite a bit of algae i'm trying to get rid of with 5 snails, 2 blue legged crabs, and a bi-color blenny (if i remember the name right).

Anyways, any thoughts on how to see the progress of the live sand and/or what it does or anything would be appreciated.

Dan]

[Mostly the "live" in live sand is referring to bacteria that you can't see that processes ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. That is the most import live part of the sand and rock. Other critters that you may see in your sand are worms, pods and maybe small starfish. They all assist by eating some of the leftover food and waste (detrius) that settles to the bottom.

The main purpose of the live rock and sand is to change the ammonia (harmful to fish) to nitrate (less harmful for fish). Unfortunately the parts that do this can not be seen. You will know that they are woking if your tests show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. It my take a bit for your sand and rock to gain enough bacteria to get to that point (this period is called a cycle). Also if you have other filters (i.e. a wet/dry or bio-wheel) they assist in changing the ammonia to nitrate as well (although both of these have downsides to them that live rock/sand don't have).]

Edited By grim-bob on 1096388149

[Bio wheels are a no no....If you have already been through your cycling...ie 2 or more months...and you started your sandbed with at least 1 cup of "live sand" then you are most likely to have "live sand" by now...as he said...ammonia's and nitrites should =0]