Turbo's dying :-( - Whats the cause?

[My 58 gallon tank had a major problem with algae so I bought a total of 6 turbo snails and a teaquin (sp) snail to help combat the problem. I also have sand snails (?) and blue legged crabs. One of the turbos died within a day (if he was ever alive to begin with) since bought from the LFS and 2 other turbos died just recently, at least a month since LFS purchase. The only fish I have is a Lemon Damsel. The only other thing that died was one blue legged crab killed anohter that was for some reason outside his shell. I do have "blank" shells for them so not sure why he was not in his.

Any help in what could be causing this problem would be most helpful.

Also, since i'm writting, does live rock help "kill" or get rid of algae?

Thanks in advance.]

[Test for Nitrates. Inverts, especially snails are sensitive to elevated nitrate and then even more sensitive are Turbos. If it is up that may be your culprit.

Do you have a brittle star? If they catch snails out of their sheels it is a tasty treat. Remember Steve Martin in the "Jerk". "You would think a fancy restaurant like this could keep the snails off the plates."

sometimes snails die. #### sometimes corals die. For no apparent reason. I am imagining the whole club nodding is solemn agreement.]

[Are you talking Turbo fluctuosa or Astraea tecta? I consider one a turbo snail and the other an astrea snail but both are commonly reffered to as "turbo snails". I have found Turbo fluctuosa to be very hardy. I have 3 that I originally added to my tank, the first creatures added shortly after it cycled over a year ago, still alive and doing well.

I have lost Astraea tecta from a bad temperature drop ( 80ish to 75ish). The "turbos" made it through just fine.

Bottom line though, Cody is right, you need to give us some pars to recieve more than a wild axx guess. If you can fill in those blanks you will probably answer your own question.

FWIW
Turbo fluctuosa are like cows, they will chomp down on hair algae and eliminate it as long as there is nothing out of whack and refueling its growth.]

[Temperatures fluctating too much can also be a problem - too hot or too cold, or a major swing. If the water got cold from the last temp drop, that could kill snails, too.]

[
Temperatures fluctating too much can also be a problem - too hot or too cold said:
Yep

My return pump failed last winter and the temp dropped. The heater is in the sump. 3 Turbos lived and the astreas didnt.]