blide - 150g of Inwall Entertainment

Sorry for the update delay... [smilie=rofl.gif]

Here's a pic of my new RO storage tank I got a couple of months ago from tank depot. It holds about 30 gallons of water and last about 3 weeks before I have to refill. I've been using a rubbermaid container for the last 5yrs and this time I wanted to eliminate any leaching issues so I bought one that was food grade.

Cont..

This past 3 months I've been trying add biodiversity to the tank and I've been able to collect sand and macro from 7 different individuals that have established tanks and it's really paying off. There are thousands of pods in my tank! So many that I have to clean them off the front glass everyday so they don't obstruct the view. I plan to get a wrasse or a mandarin in the next couple of weeks and I'm sure it'll bring down the pod population, but it's cool see them grow in size over the last 3 months. I've also been able to get some stomatella's, bristleworms, chitons, spaghetti worms, magarita snails, nerite snails, turbo snail, astera snails, cerith snails, bumblebee snail, benign flatworms, various sponges, feather dusters, and other tube worms. I'll try to start taking some pics of them, but for now here's a Melev link reference if you need a visual of the animal.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/index.html

(Thanks again to all of you that have donated sand and macro!)

Here's a pic of the sump/fuge and I'll try to get more pics soon...

@psteeleb wrote:
Bill - looking good what are those silver colored inserts in the RO/DI tank? said:
Thanks, the inserts are female threaded nuts that are built into the tank. I guess these smaller tanks are made to externally mount on objects because if you look on the inside of the tank you can't see them at all. Overall the tank works well but I did have to clean it thoroughly before using it because the unit ships to your house in plastic wrap and they must sit in a warehouse full dust before shipping. [smilie=whew.gif]

Hardware update:

During the original planning of the tank I thought maybe I wouldn't need to maintain the Alk and Calcium as much due to it being soft coral dominat. Well I was wrong! I've had to add Alk and Calcium serveral times each week for the past month and that got old quick. In my plumbing scheme I had a 1/2 line capped off just incase I need to add a filter or someting, but now I'm using it for a calcium reactor. I've had this DIY reactor for the last 5yrs and it always worked great, so now it's back online and no more 2-Part. [smilie=whew.gif]

Thanks for the comments. [smilie=smile.gif]

One thing I should mention is that over the course of the last two months I noticed all of my soft corals were looking faded and even my few SPS were turing white. I knew it wasn't due to lack of feeding (Fish are pretty fat), so I ran a test with my 6X48 Ati sunpower by only running 4 bulbs during the day instead of all six. In 2 weeks time I really started to see that my corals were responding well to less light and now they're starting to have more of a vibrant color. I was really suprised that the 6 bulbs were too much for my deeper tank. Since my actinic bulbs aren't running during the day I think I'm going to add a Reefbrite LED to give some pop during the day.

Here's my current bulb setup:
Front:
Blue Plus (Daytime)
Super Actinic (Dusk/Dawn)
Purple Plus (Daytime)
GE (Daytime)
Blue Plus (Dusk/Dawn)
Blue Plus (Daytime)

Well after seeing a couple of tank setups that are utilizing LED for actinics I felt I should join the crowd. [smilie=itwasntme.gif]

Yesterday I received my 48' Reefbrite LED (all blue) and plan to install the unit this weekend, but I did give it a test run and it definetly adds some shimmer and an actinic look to the corals. Although I'm just not sure if it was worth the extra $200+.

Here's some pic's of the unit:

@blide wrote:
Well after seeing a couple of tank setups that are utilizing LED for actinics I felt I should join the crowd. [smilie=itwasntme.gif] Yesterday I received my 48' Reefbrite LED (all blue) and plan to install the unit this weekend said:
They'll be worth it, LED's really make everything pop! I'll never have a light setup without them!

wow great job. I really like the frame you chose for the outside wall. And the rockwork is as near perfect as it could be. The finish out inside the room is the detail that sets your project apart from most others it is done very well.

WOW Bill, have to say that your tank is one of the nicer tank that i have seen. Props on not cutting corners on the fish room. Everything looks AWSOME.

@blide wrote:
Well after seeing a couple of tank setups that are utilizing LED for actinics I felt I should join the crowd. [smilie=itwasntme.gif] Yesterday I received my 48' Reefbrite LED (all blue) and plan to install the unit this weekend said:
Bill how do you like this? Was 48" enough for a 72" tank? I have 2 72" old school VHO for my actinics right now. And I am thinking about upgrading to the 21st centry and get some LEDS.