blide - 150g of Inwall Entertainment

Well it's official I've started the inwall tank project! I bought a 150g AGA tank and started demolition! I've been narrowing down the details for the last month and I finally have a bigger tank! My plan for the setup is a mixed reef, but for certain I'm going with lots of soft coral. I want the tank to be easy, have minimal equipment, colorful, and have low maintenance. I've spent years baby'n SPS corals and I'm going back to the other side now! [smilie=smile.gif]

Here's some pics:

Alright Bill, it's about time! I look forward to seeing it all come together. [smilie=smile.gif] By the way Choctaw (now mostly just called Chief) is still alive and well.

Thanks for tagging along guys! The tank size is 72X18X29 (standard 150g). I had originally planned to go custom and install a 60X18X29, but the cost for custom was just too much. Aqueon/All Glass was reducing inventory this month and their tank prices were off 40% wholesale cost, so I couldn't pass it up.

The overall look of the tank is going to resemble a picture on the wall with the window view only being 60L X 26H with a large frame around the trim. The added length will be hidden and it will allow the fish to swim out of the view of the front giving the "picture" more of an ocean feel. The tank view will be in the entry/dining room, so that's why I called the thread "Entertainment" because that's the main function of it. Over the years I've really enjoyed keeping SPS, but one thing I've noticed is that people love corals to "sway" back and forth. I do plan to have some hardy SPS, but the feel of the tank is going to be about the movement of the corals and to achieve that I'll need soft corals to be the main theme.

The only catch to this whole build is the deal I made with my wife... [smilie=itwasntme.gif] I told her if she let me use the pantry to hold the tank that I would convert it into a wine cellar/room, so I've got to have wine racks installed, cabinets added, and the the back of the tank finished out to match the cabinets. [smilie=sweating.gif]

@blide wrote:
The only catch to this whole build is deal I made with my wife... [smilie=itwasntme.gif] I told her if she let me use the pantry to hold the tank that I would convert it into a wine cellar/room said:
I don't know anything about wine, but I thought the temperature in wine cellar have to be lower.
"The ideal wine cellar temperature is between 55ºF and 58ºF (13ºC–15ºC). However, any temperature between 40º–65ºF (5º–18ºC) will suffice as long as it remains constant." Wouldn't having the tank in there make the room too hot?

Hehe, the temp addon wasn't part of the deal. [smilie=rofl.gif] Her wine will be stored at room temperature and since it's acutally not cellar it'll have to work as just a room. She can use the fridge for the wine she wants to serve. [smilie=wink.gif]

I do plant to add an exhaust to the room, but I'm going T5/Vho so heat should be an issue. [smilie=clapping.gif]

@blide wrote:
I've spent years baby'n SPS corals and I'm going back to the other side now! [smilie=smile.gif] said:
You'll be back. [smilie=lol.gif]

Can't wait to see how it all goes. Will you put the sump into the crawlspace under the stairs as well? Looks like some fun demo

You'll be back. said:
hehe, I've already asked my wife to help me fight the SPS cravings in the future... [smilie=wait.gif]

The width of the room is 4.5ft and the tank will take up 19 inches of the width, so I plan on running a sump/fuge under the tank and enclose it. I've also tried to put lots of boundaries in place to force me to streamline the whole project. That way I don't have stuff strung out and it'll also help keep me from buying extra crap.

Are you going to add a water line? Also I don't see any outlets but that might be theangle of pictures.

That is a great location for the tank it will almost look like a living painting on the wall.

@kuyatwo wrote:
Are you going to add a water line? Also I don't see any outlets but that might be theangle of pictures. said:
I don't plan to add a water line because my Rodi source is fairly close (laundry room w/utility sink)and the floor is tiled almost all the way to the tank room. My plan is to have a 30g RODI storage container to put in one of the cabinets of the tank room because I've always had a gravity fed topoff and really like the stability of it. Since the tank is going to be in the wall my first priority is water containment and I'm going to do my best to cover all the angle to keep accidents from happeing. [smilie=smile.gif]

Nice to hear from you again. I don't have any soft coral, but if you want SPS, let me know [smilie=devil.gif]

Updates!

Thanks to the Jose Cruz Service there's now a hole in the wall, load-bearing support, and a new tank stand!

@Joe Reborn wrote:
Can't wait to see it setup. How did the Wifey like it? said:
She's excited about the progress and is really looking forward to the finished product. You guys did a great job and you'll always have a good reference from us. [smilie=clapping.gif]

Oh and here's a couple more pictures from the front that I forgot to add:

Wow, I love it. Please keep the pics on the heavy side! Love the stairs and the new fish room. What are your plans for controlling the humidity in the room?

Looks great!
Jason

Very nice bill. I love the in-wall under staircase look. This should be a great build to following along with.