New 225G reef

Everything looks really good Jeremy. Have fun plumbing that monstrosity.

Did you decide if you're going BB or not? With those returns so low, BB would work really well for you. Detrius would never be able to settle with that return scheme.

@5y5tem 0verload wrote:
[img]http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/sys/sys1.jpg[/img] alt=""> said:
Is this your efffluent cup? I need to see if Marc will make me one.

@5y5tem 0verload wrote:
I didn't have the correct tool to take off the removable back center brace on the stand. grrrrrrr.. said:
Jeremy,

What kind of tool do you need? I have an automotive work shop at home and may have what is required. You will have to pick it up though as I am not able to drive (doctors orders).

Thanks Landon, I can't wait to get it running either :)

Hey Steve, are you volunteering to come help plumb? :twisted:
I haven't decided on the BB SSB yet. I'm probably going to try about ½-1" of sand. If I can't keep it on the bottom, I'll probably just loose it and go BB. I do like the look of sand though(and so does Rhonda). So we'll be trying that first. Yes that's the effluent cup that Marc made for me. Looks "spiffy" doesn't it? :)

Hey Peter, It's a square headed driver that I need. I was able to work out 5 of the 6 fasteners with a small phillips screwdriver. I have some torques, but they don't fit. Can't imagine why. :roll: Thanks for the offer, but I think a friend just down the street has what I need. I also know how much it bites not being able to drive. I couldn't drive for 4 months when I broke my right femur in '03. Hope all else is good though :)

Doesn't surprise me that you couldn't get the pocket screws out- the square driver for them is usually an oddball size. Typically, they're proprietary with the pocket screw jig / kit so that you have to keep coming back to them for screws :)

LOL Scott your just full of good information today aren't ya?! Well I don't have to worry about losing them. There's a stop of some kind on them so they won't come all the way out. Just have to find the right tool now. I'll grind down a large phillips into a square if I have to. :)

Ok Scott, luckily the square bit was just a standard #2. Picked one up on the way home. Man that center brace was a tight fit. I had to get under the stand and lift the top of the stand with my back while tapping the brace out with a hammer and a scrap piece of wood.
sumpinst1.JPG
alt="">

sumpinst2.JPG
alt="">

The rock vat has an NH4 level of 0 today! The already cured rock in the vat helped the cycle along immensely.

Now I have a question. Does going barebottom require the use of starboard? I've read that it protects the bottom plate of glass, but those people with SSB's I'm sure have rock sitting on the bottom of the tank. Thoughts? Thanks.

THe only benefit for HDPE *high density polyethylene* or starboard is protection. If you have a rock that slips and falls on the bottom, it will not crack the glass. The other benefit is that it looks more natural than glass.

Coraline algae will cover the bottom in a couple of weeks. Some people will state that you should use white b/c of the reflective properties. There is no evidence to suggest that the reflecion of the light off of the white board will increase the PAR of your bulbs. Anyway, you can get some cool colors that will make your tank more esthetically pleasing. You can get seafoam green or even black. With your black overflows, I personally *actually I did* would use black as a back ground for the tank. With a black base, it may be too much, but could look pretty Kewl.

That's for the responses guys. I'm going to try the SSB first and we'll go from there if it doesn't work out. Yes the sump looks small under there, but keep in mind that it's 48"L x 20"W x 16"H.

I have my son this weekend, won't be free tomorrow until late in the evening. I'll give you a call and see how its going when I'm free.

That looks really good! Thank you for remembering to put the sheet of pink foam underneath. :)

@Marc wrote:
That looks really good! Thank you for remembering to put the sheet of pink foam underneath. :) said:
Thanks Marc and yes I remembered the foam. I even had my own; didn't think you'd provide that.

That area next to the sump is big enough for a top off container like I put under mine. It holds approx. 15 gallons of water and from the container store.
DSC_3313
alt="">

DSC_3313.jpg
alt="">

Chris, what are the dimensions of that container? I'm looking for a 10-15g reservoir that will fit under my 55g refugium..