New 225G reef

Well I'm trying again to add some more fish to the tank that already contains "The Devil dressed in yellow". I picked up a gorgeous Naso Tang and a very nice looking Dussimer Tang. I was suppose to have received another Achilles also, but it missed the boat and will be sent later. I just hope it's as nice as the last specimen I got. The Naso is HUGE(approaching 7"). It's almost too big for the QT. The Dussimer is a more "normal" size. I'll be moving the Evil Yellow Tang to the sump sometime before the end of the wknd where he'll remain until after the other fish have been in the display for about a week. Oh, there's also a 6 Line Wrasse in the mix.

Hopefully that QT won't cause any issues and stress that big tang out too much....I'm a non-QT guy, and this is one of the reasons....good luck...can't wait to see them.

Well here are the pics.. I do have a question though. Does anyone know how large the male Naso's get before their streamers start to appear? This one was purchased as a male and being this large I figured he should have at least some sign of streamers forming.

qt1.jpg
alt="">

dussimer1.jpg
alt="">

naso3.jpg
alt="">

I am not sure of what size they start growing, but I have a 4" Blonde Naso that has started it's streamers. I have had it since it was 2.5". I would think a 7" male from the wild would already have some signs of streamers, either budding or torn off.

Ya, I saw a 4" male this evening and he has tiny nubs where the streamers "sprout" from. I'm going to call the vendor tomorrow and see what I can have done.

All I can say is WOW. Marinedepotlive has outdone themselves. I called yesterday because of my concern about receiving a female Naso. They gave me the spill about having to talk with the manager, and how they receive shipments in groups and it might be next week before they have a specimen to ship me. Free of charge of course. I said, I can wait I'm in no hurry especially since I wouldn't have to pay for it. Well I had a surprise on my door step this morning. I had two large boxes from Marinedepotlive. They were able to ship out my achilles that missed the last shipment and they sent my "definately male" Naso. He is freak'n HUGE! Bigger than the female they sent me earlier this week. He's 9" long. There's no way he was going to fit in my 36G QT with 3 other tangs, so I borrowed a 4' long 40ish gallon tank and have him in there. I'm VERY impressed with the livestock from marinedepotlive. I've purchased 90% off all my livestock from them since I've been keeping marine tanks and have yet to be done wrong by them.

achilles1.jpg
alt="">

achilles2.jpg
alt="">

malenaso1.jpg
alt="">

malenaso2.jpg
alt="">

wow amazing fish you got there. The Achillis and the Naso look very fat and healthy. Whenever i get back in the hobby i will order the achillis from marinedepot for sure.

@Tremelle wrote:
How does that extra 9" Naso alter your stocking plan? said:
Probably means I won't add the 7" Naso.. Although, there'd only be 5 fish total with the 9" male. 2 Nasos, 1 Yellow, 1 Dussimer, and 1 Achilles. Even with a 72"x30" footprint, that's alot of Tang. I've got 6 weeks to decide though. :?

Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is the fish are out of the QT tanks and in the display, but the bad news is that the large male Naso didn't make it. I had 2 QT tanks. One housed the male Naso and the Achilles and the other had the Dussimer and female Naso. The Achilles took ill about 2 weeks into the QT period. It had been in hypo(1.009) for one week. It looked to have a case of fin rot and wouldn't/couldn't move itself of the bottom of the tank. Any movement was like a rock skipping across a lake. Well I went to the store and picked up some Melafix and Pimafix after speaking with some friends. The Achilles started looking better after 2 days. However, the male Naso then started looking bad. I woke up and looked at the tank after about 3-4 days of treatment with the Mela/Pimafix and the male Naso was laying on his side. I ended up building a PVC frame to help support him between the tank wall and frame. It eased my mind not seeing him laying on his side and I think it alleviated some stress on him being right side up. Well he survived another week before he finally passed away. I don't know if it was the stress of being in a 4ft. tank after coming out of the ocean or if it was a bug that he got from the Achilles that led to his death. Here are some pics of the 3 fish I added to the display today after 6 weeks of QT. The female Naso and Dussimer were eating out of my hand the last week in the QT and each of them even accidently bit me once anxious for their Nori.

dussimer2.jpg
alt="">

achilles3.jpg
alt="">

naso4.jpg
alt="">

@Ashlar wrote:
Beautiful looking fish said:
@NathanSE wrote:
I'm not a big tang fan but WOW that achilles is beautiful! said:
Thanks guys..

Nathan, the Achilles looks 100% better than he did early on in the QT. Tangs are the only fish I really am a fan of.. which is why I had to get a big tank :p

The Yellow Tang (The Devil) that killed my other Achilles is camping out in the sump right now. He's been there for about 10 days and will spend another 2 wks down there so the 3 new additions can get comfortable.

Nice looking fish. We plan on ordering a achilles from Marine Depot soon. Our friends just recieved a 10 inch achilles from them yesterday.