New 225G reef

G

The wife graciously let me get my tank early :D I'm placing the order later today and have 1 question about the overflow box. Should I have 1 box in the center with 2 drain holes or 1 box in each corner with 1 drain hole.

I've started a thread for it on RC and apparently no one has an opinion today. I'm leaning towards the corners because I think they will detract less from the aquascape.

I like one better than two. It makes aquascaping easier and doesnt detract from looking in the side of the tank.

I ended up going with 2 corner boxes. I hadn't even thought of how it would look through the side view. Oh well.. It's a good thing I don't view it through the side too often.. I suppose I could cover it up with something removable in case I ever wanted to look in it.

Anyway to do a full tank horizontal overflow along the back? Externally? Or is the tank going to up against the wall completely.

Chris

The full horizontal back overflow (internal) is how I did my 90. It won't be an option on this tank because there are already 6 holes in the back glass and the manuf wouldn't add any others.

Just a thought, but I would consider putting it on the end and all the way across the width. Then two - 1 1/4" drains and one - 1 1/2" return. Then you can use it as a room divider, or up against the wall, and still won't have to work around both overflows.... just a thought. Not sure of any other advantages/disadvantages though. Maybe others have some experience with 'end-style' boxes..

Hey Doug,

Make any progress on your 200G tank yet? I thought about your idea also, but the space where the tank is going won't allow for veiwing from the front and back.

Where do you plan on getting your tank at?

I'm starting a similar project in the next couple weeks and might have to pick your brain.

What part of Ft Worth are you in?

I'm just off of N. Beach, just south of Keller. I'm getting from Petland. Since it was custom they're still giving me the $1 over invoice. I looked at the Oceanic and Oceanviews. I went with the Oceanview because of the huge price difference. Oceanic will do anything you want, but you'll pay for it. Robert at Petland is great! I'll definately be doing business with him again. They're even going to deliver to my house way over here in Ft. Worth. TCU.. up for some lifting? :D I'll make it worth your while.

Hi Jeremy,

Nothing new on the 215 yet...still sitting in it's almost 'hallow'ed location...LOL. Got sidetracked on the 75 to 140 upgrade for a bit. YAD - Yet another delay

For your 225, I was thinking about the view from both sides as a future possible need (or re-sale feature) even though you can't see it (don't need it) now. I'm still not sold on the idea myself, but I've see a few and I kind'a like it. Good researchin'..... :D

Doug

Hey Doug,

A future dual view tank might be an option, but it wouldn't be unless I move to a house that that is feasable in. This house layout just won't allow that. If I move.. I'll sell this one and get a larger one with that design :)

Jeremy,

If you need help moving the tank, holler at me. My schedule's kind of hectic right now but I might be able to offer you a hand.

I might need help with my 215g that I will be getting in the next month.

Well I've mulled over where to put the overflow box(s) some more and I think I'm going to keep it in the middle as long as they can keep the depth of the box 5" or less. Just seems like it will take up so much real estate in the middle, but we'll see.

Hey Steve.. It may be a month before it's delivered so we'll work something out. I get to pick week and it will be a Tuesday or Friday. That's when the truck runs. I'm available every week night after about 5 so just say the word and I'll be more than happy to help you move yours.

It's an Oceanview tank.. not Oceanic. Oceanic was way to expensive. It's coming from Petland via DFW Aquarium Supply on Abrams St. in Arlington.

Well the tank is in the house now for those that didn't read my "Mucho Thanks Guys" thread. Here are the pics of it in it's final resting place.
tank2.JPG
alt="">

tank3.JPG
alt="">

Here is my pile of goodies that I've collected so far.
equip.JPG
alt="">

I was able to work on it this weekend. I mounted the Reef Optix III pendants in the hood. A few chain links and eye bolts later..
attachmh.JPG
alt="">

Rhonda found this shelving unit at the hardware store while we were exchanging the chain links, the first ones I picked up were too small. I still can't believe I'm drilling holes in this stand. :?
doorshelf.JPG
alt="">

Rhonda helped me run my 2 new 20A circuits in the attic last night. I only have a couple of places on the ceiling to patch where my hole was a little "off" :roll: I hope to get them terminated in the breaker box in the next couple of days.
20a.JPG
alt="">

Everyone always looks so nice and neat and when you are setting it all up. :lol: I rememer when mine looked so new and clean. That is going to be a nice setup.