My New 214 RR with Pics

Honestly, I would go bare bottom if I were to do it again.

I think the black sand looks good. If I were to do sand again, I would probably go with 1-2", good sifters and maintinance, instead of a dsb.

Southdown is great if your on a budget, but wash it well first.

@ShortBus wrote:
You can see the 1x400w SEs blows away the 2x250w DEs said:
The left side is 2, 250w DE's? The thread is about the reflector. You can't judge the bulbs or light output unless your using the same reflector. A good reflector makes ALL the difference in the world. The left side you cannot see the inside of the reflector, the light is very scattered. The 400w on the right has a superior reflector. You can see the inside of the reflector clearly, almost all of the light is being directed down into the tank, and less is being lost.

Also consider the distance from the tank. 250's need to be a lot closer to the tank to be effective. The 400 is spaced about right. Look at the levelness of the trim of the tank...now look at the levelness of the light rack. The 250 looks farther away even. Sure it could be the picture angle but you never know. The DE could also have a salt sprayed glass, it doesn't look like theres any glass in the 400, or its brand new since he got it yesterday :eek:

I didn't read the thread maybe some of that was discussed, moral is don't judge a good light in a bad reflector lol

@Marc wrote:
I do like the idea of using the trays to catch detritus during serious cleaning sessions. But I don't know how to make the plumbing flexible enough to do that only when you need it. I guess some type of PVC fitting or union might work. said:
Not sure I 100% see where the trays are, but some Tee's and ball valves should do it. Plumb it up like a 2 pronged fork with a ball valve on the one above the tray so you can shut it off. Or just pull the tray out, remove the pad and wash the tray then put it back without any filter media.

That is a nice place to run anything, phosban, carbon, poly filter...

edit - wow lol, less posting more going to sleep! sorry to spam :p

that's a saweet setup! i remember reading in one of my aquarium books about doing a "shadow box" for a backdrop. basicly it suppose to produce a fade to deep water effect seen in large public aquariums. i haven't tried it, but might look trick if done right.
8)

almost done. Sump is running and Skimmer is very smoth . thanks to David and Ramin. they helped me allot. i wouldn't do it without them.

thanks Marc. i'm waiting for the lights , here is what i'm getting.

250 WATT 10K HQI REEFSTAR - LOW PROFILE HQI METAL HALIDE SYSTEM

Operates one 250w 10K HQI double ended metal halide bulb (double ended 250 watt 10K HQI bulb included in price.) The low profile, light weight hood (3.5"H) is ideal for small spaces. Unit comes complete with a highly reflective hammertone reflector (20% more light output), 250 watt double ended HQI bulb, tempered glass lens and remote HQI ballast with quick disconnect. Excellent choice for tanks with acropora. Dimensions: L16.5"xW10.25"xH3.5".

what yall think?

i'm getting the lights from Exotic aquatics in plano. thanks to Ramin. he is also helping me setting them up

Considering as much as the Reefstar pendants cost, I would personally go with Reef Optix III pendants by Sunlight Supply. The ROIII reflector is as good as it gets for DE bulbs, and SLS Blue Wave ballasts are super sweet. If I'm not mistaken you can get an ROIII, ballast and bulb for very close (if not less) than what you pay for the Reefstar.

Marc , i hope you are joking . Temp setup with 3 X 250 watts HQI low profile Reefstar MH?
i guess i'm missing somthing. what will be a perm setup since this will give me all i need?

thanks

sorry i forgot to mention that its the 14K not the 10 K

which will give me the blue which i need to replace the actinic.

My mistake, or yours perhaps. You stated:

Operates <u>one</u> 250w 10K HQI double ended metal halide bulb (double ended 250 watt 10K HQI bulb included in price.)

So I thought you got something to light only one section of your tank at first. If you meant 3 bulbs, that's different entirely.

I'm entirely confused. I'm reading the dimensions in your post, and that thing can only hold one light. I guess I'll just wait until you post more pictures. Hopefully then it will make more sense to me.

my bad. i'm getting three of this lights. each one hold double side 14K MH

so i will have three of those lights X 250 and if i need more i can always add it later. i hope that clear it a little bit.

thanks Marc