My New 214 RR with Pics

@yasser wrote:
ok guys . went to fastsigns and got the sheet.. 82$ just to make everyone happy. thanks for the ideas said:
$82 :shock: Can you take it back? I paid about $15 for a full sheet (4'x8') at Regal Plastics. I got quoted about the same price ($75+) at a sign shop too. I'd give you some of mine if I hadn't cut it into smaller pieces for various other projects.

@yasser wrote:
ok guys . went to fastsigns and got the sheet.. 82$ just to make everyone happy. thanks for the ideas said:
Waitaminute. You paid $82.00 for a sheet of cloroplast? Tell me you didn't cut it yet. Take that thing back!

You can buy a big sheet of it at Regal Plastics for far less. I bought a piece once to put on the back of my 29g, and it was less than $1.00 I'm sure.

sorry guys i couldnt return it. they already cut it. Dang,,, next time i will ask 1st. 1st lost :(

but where is Regal Plastics anyway .. for the next tank... maybe next 10 years or so..lol

I don't know how many gallons your sump holds. Here is a link to a aquarium volume calculator.

http://pw2.netcom.com/~ddougal/AquaVol/aquavolr.html?Jumper=Square%2FRectangular*aquavolr.html&display=Square%2FRectangular

Regal and Allied are both listed on the base of our LFS page.

http://www.dfwmas.com/lfs.html

And to figure out the volume of your sump, it is (in inches) L x W x H / 231 = Total gallons.

ok guys. i'm very upset right now. after fighting with the new Sticky plastic thing that i got from fastsign for 82$ it was the worest thing i ever got. it start sticking together and i was trying to get it to stick on the glass but it turn like a garbage bag. so the 82$ went to the trash. and the tank is without a background... :)

i think i will paint it... easy ...

You surely did not by cloroplast. It sounds like you bought a roll of vinyl.

The good news is that stuff is not ruined, and I can help you make it work if you still want to use it since it cost so much. You need to wet the back of the tank with soapy water. It should be wet. Ideally, I'd lay the tank on its face so that I could work on a horizontal surface instead of a vertical one.

Once you have the back of the tank nice and wet, apply the vinyl as best you can. Line it up, then using a squeege, work your way out from the center, forcing the airbubbles out toward all the edges. Keep working it until you're happy. If you end up with a small bubble later, you can pop that bubble with a pin prick, and force the air out of the tiny hole you created.

Cloroplast looks just like corrugated cardboard, except it is made of plastic. Lots of disposable signs on the side of the road are made with these, including new homes for sale. They are cheap, semi rigid and can hold up to the weather for quite a while.

Hi
I would check out the Lumenarc A3 mini & the Lumenarc III
Do some research on reef central

This is part of a post on ReefCentral by Leishman

Running one 400w in a DL 03 on one side and 2x250w DEs in ReefOptix IIIs on the other side.

You can see the 1x400w SEs blows away the 2x250w DEs

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=560167
http://www.pacificgardensupply.com/products.asp?cat=2
Old20Full.jpg
alt="">
On my next setup, I will probably use the minis
Ken

ok Marc . i owe you lunch. thank you . your idea worked perfect. except moving the tank part. i couldnt imagine how to move this thing. its just me. but water and soap works great. now the background looks much better.

It looks awesome. I hope you cleaned up / rinsed everything super well to remove any trace of soapy residue.

Btw, that vinyl is virtually indestructable. It is used for letter on vehicles.

I'm extremely curious to hear how you like that sump, once water is running through it. And I mean that in a nice way, not taking shots at David's work whatsoever. It just looks like it would be noisy with the dripping system I seem to be looking at.

Marc, this is David. I am hijacking Nicki's user ID. I initially built/designed this sump for Nicki. She has been using bio balls for 3 years and did not want to remove the bio balls. She has a tall stand (40"). To utilize the space efficiently I built the bio towers to house the bio balls. If no bioballs are used, I would remove the drawers and plumb the returns further down to eliminate/reduce the noise that will be generated from the splashing.

I miscalculated and this sump did not fit on Nicki's tank. Our loss was Yassers gain.

Hi David. Yeah, I knew all of that. I just never saw it running, and the noise factor seems very likely.

I do like the idea of using the trays to catch detritus during serious cleaning sessions. But I don't know how to make the plumbing flexible enough to do that only when you need it. I guess some type of PVC fitting or union might work.

Btw, the sump you shipped to Atlanta is being installed this weekend I think. Nathan's doing the install. This really is a small world. First I saw it at your house. Later Ryan had it, and now Nathan's helping get it hooked up in a basement application. Cool, huh?

ok guys . water is ON . but i have some issues
1- water is very load... i think cuz the water falls (i have one champer filled with Bioballs)
2- the MAG 2400 is very load.. i have it on the wood .. i think i need someing under it
3- the skimmer is not skiming yet and i have some leaks from the skimmer base.
other than that. it looks great.. i will take some pics tonight and post it

thanks

one more Quiz .. please

do i remove the bioballs . or keep it? i need everyone opinion. i dont want to remove the trays . i like it. can i put somthing else instade?

thanks

This is what I would suggest you do.

Remove the trays for now, and the bioballs. David might have suggestions, btw. Insert some PVC and a union, then more PVC until it reaches down to the water level. Then later, if you need to use the trays for a few days, you can remove the PVC extension so that water pours into the tray as it was originally designed.

Now, the other option is to load it up with bioballs on both sides, but those generate nitrate and the only way to remove those will be with huge water changes. Bioballs are designed to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate quickly, but after that they have no where to go. Your LR and sand won't be able to keep up with the constant production unfortunately.

Large Mag pumps make quite a bit of noise. You can try putting something like a mousepad under it. I've used the filter foam for Eheim pumps with good results, but your pump is very heavy and would crush it easily.

Regarding the skimmer, I have no suggestions.

i know why the skimmer was leaking . it stoped . i just need to tight more .. and skimmer need salt ..lol i didnt put the salt yet,,, that is why its not skimming...

Is the lighting option still open? I would not get a flat reflector like that no matter what you are planning to keep. They waste so much light that the better reflectors can utilize. I could not find what kind of corals you are planning to grow and how fast you want them to grow. I prefer T5 for actinic over the PCs. I have had problems with the 96 watt splitting. If you are raising softies only I would go with T5 only. Anything else I would at least go to 250 watts. The price is not much more for the extra light.

That's great news about the skimmer. Those are beautifully made and I've never heard a single complaint. It is really nice seeing David's work in so many of the LFS's I frequent.

I bet you'll get the sump squared away soon.

Keep updating the thread, so we can watch how things progress.

Sand. this is the next . what do you guys think about the southdown sand ? i can have it in a 50 Gal tank for three weeks to sattle down.

ideas . thanks allot for all the help i'm getting.

BTW i did remove the bioballs. no bio bioballs.