Mossjer's 65 gal build/help me thread

I'm not feeding a full cube usually, I have a couple of times and that was just too much. ?I need to pick up some of the sheets. It appears the LFS doesn't carry the brand I used to like anymore. And I have yet to see any of my fish eat a pellet. Kind of worries me if I go out of town. I throw a few in from time to time and nothing. The hermits start playing baseball with them. LOL Maybe when I add another fish that does eat them the others will get the idea.The other cardinal is still hanging in there. I haven't seen him eat in a couple of days though. I thought for sure he would be floating tonight but hes still kicking. I'll be targeting him during feeding tonight.?

I've been pretty busy with work lately and haven't had too much free time to be on the forums. ?Just finished reading this entire thread....love it! ?Great thread with lots of good info. ?Tagging along. ?Also, I tip my hat to you for being a Scoutmaster. ?Eagle Scout here myself. ?Actually, there are a few Eagles in DFWMAS. ?

Thank you Mike. I am an Eagle also, and my son earned his last month. It's very rewarding to me. Just trying to pay it forward for all that my Scoutmasters did for me.

I think you will like the conch. I have one in my 65 now,he is a hungry worker and so far keeping my sand white.

Status update. ?I pulled the carbon reactor offline last night after running it for about a week. With my low bio-load right now I don't see any need for it. I just wanted to make sure I could trust it when needed and the aquamaxx reactor did great. I think it was one of Melev's videos that says you shouldn't normally need to run it more than a day or two anyway. Unless there is an issue you are fighting. I'm not fighting anything at this point other than livestock that hides constantly. The skimmer is working well now, I rinsed the PEmysis tonight and it did not die down hardly at all.I've got to get some color in this tank this weekend. Wife's orders. So that leads into my next decision. I'm wanting to add two Ocellaris Clowns (thank you live aquaria for the spelling) to the tank. I went to four stores last week looking for some and no one had just plain clowns. I don't want the fancy designer fish just looking for a couple of freaking orange, white and black clown fish. LOL You wouldn't think that would be too hard to find. I took it as an omen that I nor the tank needed them last weekend.?I'm still unsure of what my stocking list is going to be. I would like to add a smaller tang in but I know I will only be able to keep it for a little while as it will outgrow my tank. I'm not sure if I should even mess with that. I do love the yellow tangs though. Anyone have any experience with them in smaller tanks? There is lot's of swimming room in the tank, the rocks stop about half way up the water column. Someone talk me in off the ledge on this.I'm almost afraid to get a wrasse because there is no top on the tank and I would like to keep it that way. I've read they like to carpet surf.A ways down the road I do want a Mandarin but I know I do not have the pod population for that right now. Need to let the tank mature a bit for that.Any other suggestions or advise?Thanks guys?

Oh, and I'm fighting the urge to add coral with my current lighting setup. Maybe a couple of low light cheap pieces to see what happens. NO MUSHROOMS!!!Making the final decision on flow tomorrow.?

Posted by: Tattel?I think you will like the conch. I have one in my 65 now said:
He's for sure one of the coolest and ugliest things in the tank right now. I just wish he would come back out where we can see him. I know he's ok because he pokes an eye out every once in a while. Reminds me of something from Star Wars. LOL

I just heard there could be high phosphates in cube food so I have always rinsed and feed "reef chili" with it for my corals. I feed frozen every other day and pellets and nori the opposite days. I have been training mine to pellets?as I quarantine?just putting in a few at a time and eventually they start eating it after a week or two and then I give what they will eat in 2 mins.My cardinals did that too, when they got picky I went and got some blood worms and they we right after those. The rest of the fish like them too_On finding the clowns I would just call all the store until you find someone who has them. I did that for a while chasing down a fish going to stores and now I just call. Keep in mind they can order you just about anything you like.I haven't had a wrasse or yellow tang so can't advise there...just make sure and get your docile fish first and then add the more aggressive ones last. I want a mandarin one day too but I would have to get a big one...my eel might think it is lunch!I know it is always hard to wait to add that coral lol...you could try a leather or hammer and see how they do. Lots of people around the area have them I am sure if you asked in the live goods section someone would chime in with something cheap and easy. I have?a little?kenya tree and xenia you could have for free if you want it.??

Posted by: jenkinscrewI haven't had a wrasse or yellow tang so can't advise there...just make sure and get your docile fish first and then add the more aggressive ones last. I want a mandarin one day too but I would have to get a big one...my eel might think it is lunch! said:
Haha, I had to talk the wife out of an eel. So maybe I should hold off on the clowns. In my experience they are all a**holes. But they are fun to watch.I did tell her it might be cool to have another tank with Eels and anenome like Melev has. She wasn't going for that. Yet ;)

LOL...yep they are interesting...and you would have to cover that top :pWell would give you time to find the ones you really want...I have 2 of mine in their own tank lol.I do have a single clown in the big tank though and it never messes with anyone.

Posted by: Crotalus?[quote="Posted by: mossjer?Oh said:
Curious.? No mushrooms because you don't have enough light?I believe Saltwater Paradise has several Ocellaris Clowns right now.? ?"]No mushrooms because they just about took over my last tank. HAHAI was at Saltwater Paradise on Sunday and all they had were the black ones. They were in one of the frag tanks. They also had some of the fancy clowns but I'm not looking to spend that much on clowns. Do you know if they got another shipment in the last couple of days? I work in Las Colinas but live in Mansfield. Not at all a problem for me to swing by there on the way home. Hell, I go there at lunch to pick up water.?

They had a bunch of Ocellaris Clowns in a frag tank.? If you didn't see any then they sold them all.

Went by Saltwater Paradise tonight and picked up two of the tiniest clowns I have ever seen. 1 1/2 inch at the most. Acclimated and added them to the tank. Yes I know, I didn't QT. But with the few inhabitants of the tank right now I'm not too worried about it. After these guys there will be a QT set up.?They remind me now of why I started in this hobby almost 10 years ago. ?They are so much fun to watch. they spent the better part of two hours swimming up the return current and sliding back down backwards. ?They would venture over to the calm side of the tank only to return to hit the flow ride again. They really are my favorite fish. Even though they can be a PITA. And the wife is happy there is color and movement in the tank now.They ate very well tonight.?I have turned the return pump down to make sure they don't wear themselves out.

Lights aren't even on yet and the new little guys are already out and playing. I hope they don't continue to "sleep" where they were last night. They went over to the calm side of the tank at the very top. ?all I need is for one of them to get startled and jump out. Starting to think about one of those BRS DIY screen tops. Have any of you used them, or put one together? ?Hell, I am a master automotive tech. I can't be that hard right? ?PS: I do not work in the dealership anymore but I am still in the car business. If you have car questions I can help. Shoot me a PM. ?

Congrats on the new edition! What! No pics?! LolI havnt tried their kit, I was just looking at them yesterday : -P?I had to make a cover for mine for the eel, but I used eggcrate and hot glued screen to the top of it. I have a rimmed tank and a canopy so you can't see it unless you open the canopy. ?I was thinking about making new covers but I have so many turns would need 14 corners!?

Lol...Nice! They look so good!You'll like watching them grow up. I watch mine swim around while I am in bed. My male one gets hyper active in the evening and swims all over the tank real fast. Seems like every fish has it's own personality : -)

I went to a lighting place and bought a sheet of "egg crate" with 1/2" holes.?? The sheets are 2' x 4' and were under $10.?? Same stuff people put frags on.? I understand SW Paradise sells them also.? Very easy to cut.? I made a cover out of them.? East to lift up for maintenance and you can just drop food right through them.