Baby Picassos

@coralreefer wrote:
How did you handle feeding and maintenance while you were put of town? How long we're you gone? said:
I have an automatic feeder and I was gone sat and most of sunday. Just had to load up the automatic feeder with their crushed dry food and it has a built in timer so just program it and it feeds. Nice part about clowns they accept dry foods so auto feeders work well. As far as maintenance they were neglected while I was gone. Cleaned when I got back and did a big water change.

Fry day 29:
[attachment=2]Fry day 29.JPG[/attachment]
Ok I saw a little bit of agression towards some of the smaller fish so I went ahead and added some "territories" by using pvc connections. It probably wouldn't have been a problem as it is only bad when all of them pick on one fish rather than the agression being spread throughout. But I added the pvc just in case so everyone could have their own space in the tank and feel a little more safe. It seems to be working so far only agression now is fighting over spots in the pvc. The pvc connection on the far right is 1/2 inch pvc and all the rest is 1 inch I think, just for a size reference.

[attachment=1]Fry day 29b.JPG[/attachment]
Still lots of white filling in with their second stripes. The ones with no second stripe I suspect will be normal clowns. I am basing this on the last clutch which seemed that the normal ones developed much slower than the picassos for some reason.

[attachment=0]Fry day 29c.JPG[/attachment]

Still following along, thanks for the updates. I'm still amazed at how large the clutch was and how many are still going strong. Keep it up.

Thanks everyone!

Fry day 30:
[attachment=2]Fry day 30.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 30b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 30c.JPG[/attachment]

I would love to raise fry if my pair would start laying. Awesome for doing a detailed thread. Who are you selling to. Stores, members?

@pjracer wrote:
I would love to raise fry if my pair would start laying. Awesome for doing a detailed thread. Who are you selling to. Stores said:
I have sold just about everywhere members, ebay, craigslist, stores, and anyone else that might be interested.

Fry day 31:
[attachment=2]Fry day 31.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 31b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 31c.JPG[/attachment]

Fry day 32:
[attachment=2]Fry day 32.JPG[/attachment]
All the little fish are doing great.

[attachment=1]Fry day 32c.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Growout.JPG[/attachment]
Well here it is, this thing has had absolutely everything go wrong with it. Bought it off craigslist a while back for what I thought at the time was a good price. Turns out it wasn't. I will definately not trust anyone elses word that there is no problems with the tank or everything is working fine. It is a set of aquarium store display tanks, that stack. They are two 75 gallon tanks. The bottom tank is seperated into 3 sections. The sump is just a tank made into a sump. I will keep macro in it and some live rock. I may also put some live rock in the tanks as well not sure yet as that may make it difficult to clean the tanks. I upgraded from my old system which was a bunch of 10 gallon tanks on a rolling rack, with HOB filters attached to them. The 10 gallon tanks were purchased on sale for $10 a tank (which was the reason they were used), but changing the water on each was a pain. They severed their purpose in keeping the fish alive but hopefully this new system will make it easier, and the water quality will be better than with the 10 gallons as they would get pretty nasty between water changes. Ok as far as the build went it was terrible. Long story short, I found out the tanks leaked tore them down resealed with new silicone and ended up using the wrong kind (just because it says 100 percent silicone doesn't mean it doesn't have any mold inhibitors). I tore the tanks down again and spent the extra money for silicone that said aquarium use on it and resealed them again. The bulkhead sold with the tanks ended up having a crack in it so it started leaking and needed to be replaced. The lights that came with it (shown on the top tank) didn't work but I replaced the ballast and got them working, wasn't cheap though. It also came with a skimmer that I havn't tried yet but I don't expect it to work. Built the stand myself and havn't had any problems with it so far. The bucket is for an ato I havn't set up yet. This picture was taken when I was water testing it for leaks and making sure everything as far as plumbing was working fine. I am now in the process of filling it with saltwater. Overall I am happy to have the new setup as I think it will be better for the fish and easier on me, but I am not happy about the trouble and mostly the cost to get it runing. All that wasn't in the budget lol.

I looked at an almost identical setup In Farmersville last month... It was in worse shape than yours so I passed on it, but I was thinking it would make a good grow out setup.

@Titus wrote:
I looked at an almost identical setup In Farmersville last month... It was in worse shape than yours so I passed on it said:
Yes I think it will work great but spent more than I wanted.

@Mikii wrote:
Well good luck! The set up looks cool itself. I think you can do some really neat stuff with this! said:
Thanks!

Fry day 33:
[attachment=1]Fry day 33.JPG[/attachment]
Picture from this morning during feeding time. All of them are darting around catching food. It's pretty neat to watch them all dart out of their sleeping spots once they see the food.

[attachment=0]Fry day 33b.JPG[/attachment]

What day do you plan to move them over to the new grow out system? Do you do anything to speed the cycle of the growout system?

@coralreefer wrote:
What day do you plan to move them over to the new grow out system? Do you do anything to speed the cycle of the growout system? said:
Don't have a specific date really, just whenever I feel they are ready to be moved and can handle the stress. I didn't do anything to speed up the cycle besides adding the live rock. Not in a hurry to move them in so wasn't really a need to speed it up anymore.

Fry Day 34:
[attachment=2]Fry day 34.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 34b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 34c.JPG[/attachment]

Fry Day 35:
[attachment=2]Fry day 35.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 35b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 35c.JPG[/attachment]

Ok looks like I will not be updating this as much. I will be leaving back to school today or tomorrow. I have the fish setup with an automatic feeder and I may move them to one of the old 10 gallon growouts just to give them some extra room still have decided yet though. Anyways just figured I would let everyone know the pictures and post will slow down a bit.

OK sorry for the lack of updates. I have moved them from the 2.5 gallon tank into one of the old 10 gallon growouts. I was going to move them into the new growout before I left but didn't have time to "baby proof" the tank (mainly cover overflows and such to keep the babies from being sucked in and killed). Luckily I didn't put them in there because while letting it run about a week I noticed a tiny leak in the corner of the new growout so I had to fix that and I am currently running water through it to make sure the leak is fixed. All the clowns are doing great haven't had any die not even during the move which can sometimes be a problem. I have an automatic feeder that feeds them 3 times a day and I make it home usually on wednesday since I don't have class and change their water. I am hoping to move them into the new growout once I know it no longer leaks.

[attachment=0]clown1.JPG[/attachment]
Heres a quick picture I snapped of them last wednesday before changing their water. Fake plants and stuff are just to reduce agression. As they age they try to pick out a spot and will fight clowns who come near them. The plants and stuff give them more "spots" to claim other than the corners of the tank.
Thanks hope everyone is doing well.

Quick video I shot last wednesday of the clowns in one of the old 10 gallon growout tanks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEEocxooMw[/youtube]