Baby Picassos

Fry day 19:
[attachment=2]Fry day 19.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 19b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 19c.JPG[/attachment]

I really love this thread! So easy, informative and tons of photos! I just got my 1st pair of clowns (yes picsssos!) today. They're new to Aus only introduced this year so none have been bred yet here. Can't wait to try my hand at them in due time. I had a question about your fry tank. It's only a 2.5g? How did you keep on top of the ammonia before the the hob filter? Just once daily cleaning and fresh water changing? Or how often? Do you imagine a 10g with a sponge filter would work as well? Do you use any products for water quality? Amquel or Purigen?

Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together. On the bright side so far it looks like clowns are easier to raise then seahorses. Cool!

@Jaguar wrote:
I really love this thread! So easy said:
Thank you for the nice words and congrats on your picassos. My fry tank is only 2.5 gallons. I do this only because I prefer to no other reason. A 10 gallon would work fine but my logic is yes the 2.5 gallon water gets nasty faster but it is also easier to change 2.5 gallons in an emergency than 10 gallons. So if my ammonia levels start rising a 1 gallon water change is nearly 50 percent of the water where as in a 10 gallon it would only be 10 percent. The 2.5 is a double edged sword, yes its easier to change but it is also much less forgiving. To stay on top of ammonia before the HOB filter I did daily water changes. Sometimes two a day depending on how dirty it was. Like I said a 10 gallon would work fine it is just my preference to use 2.5 gallons. I have some amquel I think but I try not to use any water quality products unless it is an emergency. I find if you stay on top of the water changes from the begining you usually won't have trouble, and I would rather not use any products on fry especially when they are small and very fragile. Thanks and good luck.

Fry day 20:
[attachment=2]Fry day 20.JPG[/attachment]
Everybody still doing good more and more second stripes filling in. You can see some with all kinds of designs coming in. Been working on getting their new growout tanks up and running, upgraded from the old growout but will post more later on that.

[attachment=1]Fry day 20b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 20c.JPG[/attachment]

@Lance wrote:
Looking good............seem to have a few white ones in the batch said:
Ya I must have got lucky and hatched the good 1/3 of the eggs haha. I havn't really done a tally of which is which as sometimes the ones that look solid white will actually fill in with some orange and those that look normal will fill in with more white you never really know until the colors come in completely. That is what makes it more exciting though never know what you're going to get.

@Joe Reborn wrote:
Do you have any up for grabs? said:
Not yet they are only about 1/4 of an inch long now but once they are an inch long or so they will be saleable size. I will let everyone know in here when they are ready to sale, but it will be several more months.

Fry day 21:
[attachment=1]Fry day 21.JPG[/attachment]
Picture from this morning. I clean the bottom each morning, as you can see I havn't done so yet. That is basically how much detritus is sitting on the bottom from the day before every morning to be cleaned. On the bright side you can see a few neat markings coming in.

[attachment=0]Fry day 21b.JPG[/attachment]
They are starting to get big enough to get my iphone to actually focus on a single fish, before they were so small the camera wouldn't even recognize them as a focus point. A bit of reflection but at least you can see one with its colors coming in and how they look.

Fry day 22:
[attachment=2]Fry day 22.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 22b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 22c.JPG[/attachment]

Well dodged a major catastrophe last night but still lost a bunch of fry. I am begining to think my equipment is cursed with this clutch. I left around 6pm last night to play basketball with some friends and when I got back at 10 every fish in the tank was laying on its side. After a quick inspection I noticed my HOB filter had stopped working and the fish were slowly suffocating. Not sure how long the pump had been off but I threw in an airstone and most of them came back around and are doing just fine. I lost 13 last night and found 2 more dead this morning so a total of 15 fish dead. At least I didn't lose them all though. This clutch does seem a bit cursed, I am having the worst luck with equipment and the growout I have been working on is giving me all kinds of trouble. I guess we will see how it goes. Its really no fun having to pull out dead fish especially this far along after all the work you have put in.

Fry day 23:
[attachment=2]Fry day 23.JPG[/attachment]
You can see a few bubbles from the airstone in this one. Looks like I will be leaving that in just in case my filter decides to stop working again.

[attachment=1]Fry day 23b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 23c.JPG[/attachment]

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. It's hard to beat the reliability of a sponge filter. Nice bonus that they are inexpensive too. I know of a couple of professional breeders that run their systems 100% on air. I'm personally too much of a fan of flow through systems, but I do like how simple their setups are.

@David Gibson wrote:
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. It's hard to beat the reliability of a sponge filter. Nice bonus that they are inexpensive too. I know of a couple of professional breeders that run their systems 100% on air. I'm personally too much of a fan of flow through systems said:
Yes I will definately be using a sponge filter next time even if purely backup. I won't be leaving the tank without any air after that experience, but at least I was able to save most of them. It would have been tough to get them this far and then lose them to an equipment mishap.

@coralreefer wrote:
Sorry your having trouble! How many fry would you estimate that you have as of right now? said:
My last estimate was around 150 so after the 15 deaths I would say maybe 135ish. That is an extremely rough estimate. They move fast and like to swim in giant balls of fish so it is nearly impossible to establish a decent guess.

Thanks everyone for the concern and hopefully anyone thinking of doing this for themselves will learn from my mistakes and it will prevent them from having the same troubles. After all that is exactly what this was created for, to see what really happens good and bad.

Fry day 24:
[attachment=2]Fry day 24.JPG[/attachment]
No more deaths everybody is back on track.

[attachment=1]Fry day 24b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 24c.JPG[/attachment]

Fry day 25:
[attachment=2]Fry day 25.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 25b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 25c.JPG[/attachment]

@Lance wrote:
Ok I anr ready to buy a few of them now [smilie=smile.gif] said:
Haha thanks

Sorry its been a few days since I posted anything, I was out of town.
Fry day 28:
[attachment=1]Fry day 28b.JPG[/attachment]
All the fry are doing great. I havn't lost anymore and havn't had anymore screw ups on my part (at least not with them). They are eating primarily on dry foods, but I will be introducing some frozen just to have a better variety and hopefully healthier fish. Still working on their new growout as I said I'm upgrading from the old tanks I used. I hope to put some pictures up when I finish but its been one of those projects where anything that can go wrong will go wrong. But I did get some things done last week and I think I will finish it this week.

[attachment=0]Fry day 28.JPG[/attachment]
This one is pretty blurry and I just got done cleaning so that's what all the stuff floating around is in both pictures.