Baby Picassos

@Lance wrote:
Yes thank you for posting this so we can watch your progress as well. said:
Thanks I believe you were the one who suggested it? So thank you I had never really thought about it until then.

@kuyatwo wrote:
how long from feeding rotifers till you can feed brine? what is next after feeding baby brine? said:
Depending on the species will determine when you can feed brine for mine I begin feeding brine on day 5. I also begin feeding pulverized flake on day 5 so they begin to associate this with food as this is the next step after brine. I feed brine until day 25 then going to only flake and frozen foods. Like I said I start the dry foods with the brine mainly so they begin to see that they can eat it so when I stop feeding brine they all don't just starve. I think that is the main thing with baby clowns they will eat just about anything but you have to wean them off their old food and slowly introduce to new foods. Some begin eating the new foods instantly and others may take a fews days or longer.

Great write up! What salinity water are you using? This reminds me of grad school, trying to key out the larval stages of fishes!!

@coralreefer wrote:
Great write up! What salinity water are you using? This reminds me of grad school said:
Thanks, I start out at 1.023 same as the display's SG, but after day one I begin dripping fresh water to lower the SG to 1.020. I read they survive better in lower salinity, not sure if this is true but it works for me.

Almost forgot about this, it has nothing to do with the baby clowns of this clutch. It is from my last clutch I raised. I kept one platinum that seemed to have an unusual marking I had never seen with them. I don't really know where else to post this so I will post it here and see if anyone knows anything. Anyways the platinum seems to have white "eyelids." Obviously this is not the correct term but thats what they look like to me so thats what I will call them. I had a few other platinums in the hatch but they all had the orange "eyelids." I was just wondering if anyone had seen a platinum like this or if this is new to them as well. I will post pictures of a "normal" platinum of the same clutch and then of the white "eyelid" platinum. Let me know what you think, new or old news, and if you like it. Also let me know if you even see it, when you raise these guys you see so many different patterns you start to see patterns that don't even exist on them. I don't really like the look of the platinums as much as the picassos, but I think I like this guy, looks like he or should I say "she" has makeup on lol.

Normal Platinum:
[attachment=1]Normal Platinum.JPG[/attachment]
Right around the top of his eye looks like and orange eyelid.

White "eyelid" platinum
[attachment=0]White eyelid platinum.JPG[/attachment]
Right above the top of his eye looks like a white eyelid to me. Also has a pretty funny looking mustache but I've seen those on several platinums. Wish my iphone zoomed better but it gets all blurry if I try to zoom in on it.

Great thread, and definitely very informative.

Joyce Wilkerson's book is still the go-to guide for raising clownfish, but there have also been a lot of advances in food in the past year. It's possible to skip brine shrimp entirely and just go to prepared foods.

A lot of breeders on MBI go straight from rotifers to using TDO from APBreed (Reed Mariculture) now. The A1 size is practically a dust, so you can introduce it when they are about a week old. After meta, you can graduate to B1 or C1 depending on mouth size.

@David Gibson wrote:
A lot of breeders on MBI go straight from rotifers to using TDO from APBreed (Reed Mariculture) now. The A1 size is practically a dust said:
Wow I will definately have to do some research on that and try it out as raising brine can become a pain. I feel like I learn something new about this hobby everyday. Thanks again for sharing.

@David Gibson wrote:
A lot of breeders on MBI go straight from rotifers to using TDO from APBreed (Reed Mariculture) now. The A1 size is practically a dust said:
I did that after you told me about it and only added it one day then on to TDO B1 then worked up to TDO C1.

Fry day 9:
[attachment=2]Fry day 9.JPG[/attachment]
More head stripes coming in today, and growing well. Still no more losses yet.

[attachment=1]Fry day 9b.JPG[/attachment]
This little guy is still hugging the suction cup tight, havn't seen him venture to far from it.

[attachment=0]Fry day 9c.JPG[/attachment]
Side view showing some orange pigments starting to come on. Looking more like mini clowns everyday. Still feeding brine shrimp and pulverized flake foods.

How long does it take until they have grown large enough to sell? How large are they at that point? Awesome thread! [smilie=clapping.gif]

@Tornelas383 wrote:
How long does it take until they have grown large enough to sell? How large are they at that point? Awesome thread! [smilie=clapping.gif] said:
It takes around 6-8 months on average for them to get 1 inch long. Some grow very fast and are ready to sell in 4-5 months others take over 8 months to reach 1 inch long just depends on how agressive they are when it comes to eating. Right now it would be pushing it calling them 1/8 of and inch long from head to the tips of their tails.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

You should raise a new clutch of 100 for us to give away at MACNA. lol Everyone get's a tiny test tube clown with an alka selzer for bubbles.

@Marc wrote:
You should raise a new clutch of 100 for us to give away at MACNA. lol Everyone get's a tiny test tube clown with an alka selzer for bubbles. said:
Wouldn't that be funny lol

Fry day 10:
[attachment=0]Fry day 10b.JPG[/attachment]
Lost one clown last night :( must have been stress from meta that got him. Everybody else seems to be doing well. Top right of the picture you can see the little guy by the suction cup still. I think I may have to name him soon as he makes regular appearances on here. Let me know if you have any good names for him. Of course as soon as we name him he will move and I will never be able to find him again lol.

[attachment=1]Fry day 10.JPG[/attachment]
These guys love the bubbles. I just fed but they seem more interested in playing. About 8 of them line up and take turns swimming into the stream of bubbles. It of course carries them up and throws them back into the middle. If you look at the top right of the picture, the blurry clown is mid ride and the others are waiting for their turn. Its like a mini clown roller coaster.

This is so amazing! Can't wait to see what they turn out to look and act like! THanks for creating this thread!

Ok its a really crappy video but you can kind of see them riding the bubbles if you switch it to HD or original quality. If you look real close right before the end one of them gets thrown out of frame lol. They are all still enjoying it, so must not have hurt too bad.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4T9CNAmulc[/youtube]