Baby Picassos

Fry day 11:
[attachment=2]Fry day 11.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 11b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 11c.JPG[/attachment]

@KCaquatics wrote:
Fry day 11: [attachment=2]Fry day 11.JPG[/attachment] [attachment=1]Fry day 11b.JPG[/attachment] [attachment=0]Fry day 11c.JPG[/attachment] said:
I love watching them go through the meta phase as they are so cute when the stripes start showing up.

Fry day 12:
[attachment=2]Fry day 12.JPG[/attachment]
Sorry missed posting yesterday because I had a wedding to attend. Fry still doing great many begining to get their second stripe. Also developing more of their first stripe and some neat colorations. I would say they are 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch long.

[attachment=1]Fry day 12b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 12c.JPG[/attachment]

Again thanks everyone for your comments and input.

Fry day 13:
[attachment=1]Fry day 13b.JPG[/attachment]
Colorations and second stripes starting to come in more and more everyday. This is when it starts getting hard not to just stare at them all day trying to guess what types of designs will form.

[attachment=0]Fry day 13c.JPG[/attachment]

Looks like your sucess rate is very high.........do you know about what the count was for them this go around?

@Lance wrote:
Looks like your sucess rate is very high.........do you know about what the count was for them this go around? said:
The hatch rate for this clutch was terrible but that was human error so I didn't bother counting unhatched eggs. As far as survival rate of those that did hatch that is also tough to say. If I had to guess I would say around 150 hatched. 29 have died so that would give a rough guestimate of 80 percent survival rate. I am hoping I will be able to count them when I transfer to a new tank, not sure if this will be feasible or not. If I am able to count them I would be able to give and accurate survival rate.

On to today
Fry day 14:
[attachment=2]Fry day 14.JPG[/attachment]
This seems to be the new corner to hang out in. Over half the fry hang out in a giant ball in this corner all day.

[attachment=1]Fry day 14b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 14c.JPG[/attachment]
Size reference this is the end of my index finger. Still pretty small but they're growing.

@MarcoG wrote:
me too! LOL"]

Thanks everyone glad you are enjoying them.

Fry day 15:
[attachment=2]Fry day 15.PNG[/attachment]
Can see a few of their second stripes very well. The second stripe fills in much slower but is really cool to watch as it spreads more and more until finally finishing the design. Not sure if this goes for all picassos but it seems like for this clutch and the last that the more white they have the faster it develops. For example in the last clutch the last clowns to fully develop their stripes where the plain normal clowns with the picassos developing much faster. Again I'm not sure this is the case for all picassos but it seems to be holding true in my case.

[attachment=1]Fry day 15.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 15b.JPG[/attachment]

Fry day 16:
[attachment=2]Fry day 16.JPG[/attachment]
OK I have been feeding less brine and more dry food lately. Today I fed only dry food and they all ate well. Will probably keep feeding brine a little but by day 25 no more brine and only frozen and dry food will be served. I did lose 2 clowns to a cleaning accident. I was cleaning the bottom of the tank and sucked up 3 clowns I didn't see. When they are this young they can die of shock rather easily when moved or frightened, and two died. I sucked up a third one as well but he is back in the tank doing fine. Bad day for cleaning I guess.

[attachment=1]Fry day 16b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 16c.JPG[/attachment]

Fry day 17:
[attachment=2]Fry day 17.JPG[/attachment]
Installed a new hob filter this morning. I usually put a small sponge filter on the tank but I thought I would give this a shot as it will surely do a better job. I was worried that the flow might toss them around but they are handeling it very well. Many have actually decided it is a good place to call home as you can see.

[attachment=1]Fry day 17b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 17c.JPG[/attachment]
I did make a slight modification to "fry proof" it. I wrapped the intake with some prefilter sponge stuff I had laying around and rubberbanded it on to be sure it stayed. This is just to keep the fry from being sucked inside and chewed up by the motor. Everything in the tank has to have some type of fry proofing done to it as they are very curious.

Fry day 18:
[attachment=2]Fry day 18.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Fry day 18b.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fry day 18c'.JPG[/attachment]

3 weeks old! Looking great.

How much food do you say you feed in a day and how often?

Now that you have the HOB filter, do you notice any less detritus you are siphoning out of the bottom?

@coralreefer wrote:
3 weeks old! Looking great. How much food do you say you feed in a day and how often? Now that you have the HOB filter said:
Thank you very much. Right now I am feeding a pinch of crushed dry food 3 times a day and I also usually feed some brine at least once a day but I am constantly cutting down the amount of brine I feed to try to get them relying mostly on the dry food which I think they are by now. As far as the HOB filter goes I mainly added it to help prevent amonia. With such a small tank, tons of fish, and the massive amount of food added I am asking for a disaster. The filter is already matured in another tank so it helps a lot along with regular water changes. To answer your question, so far it does seem to help with detritus but by no means does it keep the tank free of it. I still must siphon the bottom reguarly but it does help.