Search results

1. A

Red LEDs

Last year Leonard Ho wrote an article in advanced aquarist that showed red light negatively effects coral health/growth. Why then, do the major light manufacturers include red LEDs in their fixtures? Thanks, Austin
  2. A

Goniopora

Hey guys, I bought an ailing Goniopora yesterday. There are approximately 12 healthy polyps and 20 dead polyps. My question is, should I leave the frag intact or frag out the healthy polyps to get rib of the algae gathering skeleton. Thanks
  3. A

Bleaching or parasite?

A small white dot starter growing on the base of my acropora, and has been growing steadily for the last week. I haven't changed anything, and it has been in the same location for about four months. It was previously growing well with good polyp extension. Any thoughts? image.jpg
  4. A

Running lights front to back

Hey guys, I'm thinking about switching out my reefbreeder value fixture over my 40B for the 20K buildmyled. I was thinking about getting two 18 inch fixtures and running them front to back. This way, I could use my reefkeeper to create a sunrise/sunset effect. Any thoughts on this arrangement?
  5. A

Reef podcasts

Does anybody know of a a reef podcast other than Reef Threads? I used to find their podcasts helpful but now it seems to consist of mainly small talk and negativity. Really wish Marc was still doing his Reef Addicts podcast! Thanks, Austin
  6. A

missing anemone

Haven't seen my rbta in 3 days. Just tested, and nitrates are near zero, water is clear without any funny odors. The thing that scares me is that my clownfish went back to hosting my frogspawn. Should I wait it out, or tear apart my rocks in case he is dead to prevent fouling the water?
  7. A

Kalkwasser problem

Came home from work yesterday to find my Kalk ATO reservoir empty and water pooling in my tank stand. It looks like the Kalk eroded through my plastic container. I searched for this but couldn't find anyone else with this problem. Anybody else have this experience?
  8. A

Tissue loss on acropora

Hey guys, I recently upgraded to a bigger tank, and in the process an acropora frag was placed in an area with decreased flow. Before I realized it, the relatively small frag had lost tissue around it base. The loss was around the entire base extending up about 1 cm. I moved the frag to an area...
  9. A

Sump level

Hey guys, quick question about sump water levels. It seems no matter what I do, my sump runs at 6". I couldn't use baffles due to space. I'm running a Herbie overflow and have been going over return rate, overflow rate, and hydrostatic pressure, but still can't figure out what going on. I don't...