Red LEDs

Last year Leonard Ho wrote an article in advanced aquarist that showed red light negatively effects coral health/growth. Why then, do the major light manufacturers include red LEDs in their fixtures?

Thanks, Austin

I has been a while since I read that article, but my understanding was that while red alone is a hindrance, red in combination with other colors is just a minor hindrance. I'll gladly trade a very minor setback for the better color rendering it provides.

If you think about it most coral are found at depths were red light is usually not present and blue light is the only light that penetrates that far. And the manufacturers produce it because people like the full spectrum most red less have 120 degree optics to were they dont go down as far but space over the tank. To much of anything is bad imo.

Warm and neutral white have plenty of red in their spectrum. When you add red led's you are basically doubling up on red. As stated manufacturers add every color available because the masses see that as "full spectrum". The diy led gurus never include red. Algae scrubbers always have deep red so if you want to grow algae red is the color for you. :)

+1 to the above when I switched my lights from the fluvals which had way to much red to another with way more blue my hair algae was no longer an issue

I have seen freshwater planted tanks use radions so reds are used more on the freshwater side is my guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas, did you have the Fluval Sea LED system? I've been looking at that one and would love some input.

I'm looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-48-Inch-Marine-Lamp-46-watt/dp/B00BFUJV4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442292445&sr=8-2&keywords=fluval+sea+LED

Yes I had two 24" over my cube not very much spread. The older models had way to much red I didn't like the look. The new ones have more blue in them. I also didnt light how you had to manually switch them to actinic I had somebody at home during the day to switch them but if not then your restricted to day or night until you flip it. They did well growing coral sps lps and softies but after about a year I had nothing but problems with hair algae and as soon as I switched my lights it was gone. for the price I dont feel there worth it, I paid 50% off so not to mad. I paid $90 for my replacement led and am much happier. I will in the next several months switch to kessils which is what I would recommend instead

There are a few different things in play here with red leds. First is assuming that all lights with red leds also use neutral or warm whites. It has been the history of most manufacturers to use cool whites in most of the lighting systems. The other aspect here is that the full spectrum philosophy is bunk, which it is not. Here in the store, any tank that we run with full spectrum leds (AI's,radions) we actually run all of the colors on the pallet except for white. I think many will find that if you run the greens and reds at a high value with no white that you will get a very proper color spectrum without the overdose of the red color.

I like what they have at aquatraders.com. I found this
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Quad-Marine-Reef-Corals-p/56577.htm

I was also considering these from Mars Aqua:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-MarsAqua-Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium-Grow-Light-Full-Spectrum-Marine-Corals-/370858771177?hash=item5658e7c2e9

What do you think? They are about the same price but it looks like the mars aqua has a higher output.

The one you showed on aquatraders looks like you will have to manually switch blues and whites the mr120 on aquatraders has independent knobs a switches you can but on timers to kick blues on first for a couple of hours then your whites. The mars look like the same thing as the mr120 but I do not have a personal experience with them I have used the mr120 and am very pleased for the price, its no kessil but it gets the job done. There on sale for $80 right now