Sump level

Hey guys, quick question about sump water levels. It seems no matter what I do, my sump runs at 6". I couldn't use baffles due to space. I'm running a Herbie overflow and have been going over return rate, overflow rate, and hydrostatic pressure, but still can't figure out what going on. I don't think return rate exceeds overflow, as no water is reaching the emergency overflow.
Thanks, AM.

When you turn off the pumps, do the return lines siphon a bunch of water back into the sump? If so, add a siphon break. one or two small holes just below the water line so if the pump goes off as soon as the holes are exposed, air gets sucked in breaking siphon, and preventing further water flow from main tank into sump.

When you turn off the pumps, how high does the water level go in the sump? Would you be able to add more water comfortably? If so, add more saltwater.

you could also put gate valves or ball valves on the drain lines thus keeping the tank full in case of pump failure. the ones built like a "Y" are the ones I like as they have a removable gate assembly for cleaning the calcium off of it.

WIthout baffles, you can not maintain a steady water level. Evaporation occurs, and the water level drops in the sump. When you add more water to replace evaporation, it rises. A top off system can help keep it within 1/2" variance, which may be enough to avoid the skimmer overflowing.

Thanks for all the input. I've been topping off with dilute Kalkwasser with an aqualifter and timer. I probably just need to invest in an ATO.

I agree! What size is your tank? I have a Tunze Osmolator Nano in my 30g, and it was very affordable. I couldn't be happier with it! Every time it goes off, I remind myself that it's one more time I would have had to be back there in the sump, refilling by hand. There are also DIY kits that you could use with your aqualifter to create your own ATO for a lower price.