Ron's 300G Tank Move and In-Wall Installation

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
Yea...I know. My pictures posting skills suck. said:
Just a little.. jk jk, it looks great and thanks for the update. Congrats on the eggs, will you be harvesting and become a clown farmer?

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
No. The eggs are long gone. The male seems to have acquired a tast for them. I saw him nibbling at them. said:
Not trying to patronize, but sure he wasn't just blowing fresh water on 'em? The male tends to hover over the eggs and blows water over them to keep them oxygenated... (Or something like that)

Maybe he was...I'm not sure. It did look like he was eating them.

If it happens again I'll watch to see whether he's eating, blowing clean water on them, or whatever. Since I was never planning on doing anything with them, I just let them become tank food.

Thanks for the info Serk,

OK. OK...

Here's a full tank shot. I don't know how to make it look like it does when you are standing in front of it. It looks like I turned the MH on at around midnight...but it was almost full daylight with the living room lights on!

Anyway, here's how it looks today. The rock is set up kind of like a double crescent. In other words, it is a solid back wall with three islands jutting out towards the front..it's great to have 36" of depth to work with!

What do you think?

DSC00940.jpg
alt="">

BTW...I'm debating on letting the sides become overgrown with Coraline algae or to keep it clean. In the pic above, it's dirty. But since then, I've cleaned it. When it's clean it looks like a mirror and you can see at angles that are impossible if I let it become overgrown. I'm torn on which way to go...

This post is for Ashler.

If you look just in front of the yellow mimic tang, you'll see a huge black spiny thing. That's the little long spine urchin that Ashler gave me about a year ago. Actually it was big when he gave it to me...it just keeps growing. While looking at the pic...keep in mind that is a 6 foot long tank.

Here are a few pics of the monster urchin to give you an idea of its size.

DSC00931.jpg
alt="">

It's really hard to get a pick that looks right because of the angle I had to use to get a shot. Oh what looks like bubbles in the silicone on the side of the tank is only dried salt water...scared the crap out of me the first time I saw this pic....

DSC00932.jpg
alt="">

DSC00933.jpg
alt="">

Here's a full tank shot with the moon lights turned on. It's a pretty bad pic, but it looks cool from the couch.

DSC00920.jpg
alt="">

Here's the left side (and the Ashler Urchin)

DSC00941.jpg
alt="">

Here's the right...not all the way to the sand bed, but you get the idea.

DSC00944.jpg
alt="">

If you look at the above pic, you can see two yellow looking things that looks like coral. The bottom one is actually some type of sponge/tunicate type structure.

Check it out...

DSC00936.jpg
alt="">

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
Maybe he was...I'm not sure. It did look like he was eating them. If it happens again I'll watch to see whether he's eating said:
It could also be that the male is eating the "bad eggs" so to speak. He'll weed them out and leave the healthy few alive.

Here are some single shots of various tank mates.

First is my Vlmingi Tang...he's a big pig.

DSC00949.jpg
alt="">

My crocea clam...

DSC00938.jpg
alt="">

Mandarin Goby...

DSC00939.jpg
alt="">

Blond Naso Tang...

DSC00947.jpg
alt="">

Here's a pic from the side of the tank...I think they are looking for food.

DSC00960.jpg
alt="">

Thanks for the comments on the tank.

The moon lights are part of my 72 inch Aqualight Pro.

Here's the light setup I have...

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~ES53510~idCategory~FILTFIMHMPMDMLM8~category~72_Inch-with_Moon_Lights-Double_Ended_Halide-Halide_with_Compact-Metal_Halide-Light_Fixtures-Lighting-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Trust me, moon lights are cool. While actinics bring out a lot of colors, the moonlights bring out really crazy looking yellows. It's a strange black light look.

Are the 150 HQI's enough light on the 300? I have the same fixture and it does put out a lot of light, but the 300 is deeper than my 125. I have been thinking about a 300 myself and if the fixture is adequate it may make it happen sooner. :D

I think so. It has 834 total watts. So, that's just under the 3 watts per gallon. It may be on the lower end, but I think it should be fine.

Also, the tank is 27" with a 4" sand bed, stacks of live rock, etc. So, I have plenty of options for the corals that may need higher light.

Maybe someone with one of those Par meters would like to come over and check it out or let me borrow it.

Thanks James. Maybe I'll take you up on it.

I'm really busy until the new year anyway. Jan would be a good time for me.

Ron - I've got a PAR meter too, and I'm a lil' closer... :)

Be nice to see each other's 300 gallon tanks too!

Thanks Serk.

I like that option better. I'd still like to wait at least a little while. But since you are closer, I'm sure it would be easier.