Ron's 300G Tank Move and In-Wall Installation

Here's a few pics of some items with only the actinide on.

First is a rather large long polyp toadstool, a small plate, and a wall hammer. A couple of fish got in the way! The mimic tang is from DennisF about 2.5 years ago. He's doing great...thanks Dennis!

6365716e-41bc-d3fa.jpg
alt="">

Next is a close up of a snail. I'm trying the zoom on my iPhone.

6365716e-42a3-92ef.jpg
alt="">

Here's a my big ugly cuke. He's about 7" long! He's got a few years on him too!

6365716e-4303-4f4c.jpg
alt="">

a6cd0b1e-4353-c83b.jpg
alt="">

Hope you guys like this.

Hi Ron! I Just found this tank-build post while searching for others in my area...very nice job! Maybe one day my husband will let me cut a hole in our wall somewhere so I can have on of these, LOL! Wish we would have found a house that already had an in-the-wall tank when we were buying, but there are not many out there. We live pretty close, I am just up the road in Stone Creek. Love the pics!

Well, I made the trip from Rockwall to Irving today for the frag swap. I picked up a few things. From toast I got a pink milli and a red/blue milli. I don't know which is which. Maybe once they open up and get settled in the tank I'll be able to tell them apart.

Since I got the bryopsis under control with elevated Tech-M, i'm starting to test the tank with a few hardy corals.

So enough of that, here's some pics from my iPhone.

6c415213-c778-7b37.jpg
alt="">
6c415213-c78c-ace2.jpg
alt="">

Also, At the last swap I picked up a forest fire that's been doing well.

Here's a pic of the Forest Fire.

6c415213-c833-e1f2.jpg
alt="">

Hope y'all like it. The tank is coming along pretty well after I neglected it for a while.

Here's a few growth pics. I went back through the thread to see what was still in the tank. That was a great trip down memory lane!

First, here's some pics of the left, right, and center if the tank. Yes it's a PITA to try to get a full tank shot.

6c415213-cba7-b584.jpg
alt="">
6c415213-cbb9-93a7.jpg
alt="">
6c415213-cbcd-0214.jpg
alt="">

Asa you can see from the above pics, the plates, frogspawn, and hammer got pretty big. I'm lucky they survived. They are nice now!

Here's a pic of the chalice I bought from Bill @ Neotune's Cove. It was just the little bump when I bought it. Il never get it off of that rock now. Also if you look at the Acan in the center pic, you'll see that it's grown from about 8 polyps to about 15 now.

6c415213-cc72-7292.jpg
alt="">

Here's a pic of my big old Toadstool. Bought that from Boutique Pet Shop. I miss that place. It didn't always gave the best selection, but it was the closest and easiest to get to from the house.

6c415213-ccba-28f8.jpg
alt="">

Since I've been putting more time into my tank, I'm getting much mire satisfaction from it again.

Good to see you are still around totally forgot about this build thread

Well. I thought a lost an anemone. I have a large one that split a while back into a little one and a smaller one. The smaller one decided it wanted to move around a few months ago.

During it's trip, it eventually settled in the back of the tank out of the viewing area. It stayed there for a while, then it disappeared. I haven't seen it in several weeks. My best guess was that it became a tank casualty.

So two days ago I was looking at something strange in the sump return chamber. When I looked closely, I realized it was the missing nem. He was stuck to the side on some coraline covered glass.

I tried to blow him off with a turkey baster with no luck. He had to be very carefully pried off with a scraper. When I finally got him off I put him in a crevice in the tank. Today he looks fine...just a lot smaller than the last time I saw him.

Wish him & me luck!

If you ever find one stuck to the glass you can take some ice on the outside of the glass and hold it there. Then kind of message it's base with your thumb to agitate it a little more. They'll usually come free in 15 minutes or so. Has worked well for me... good luck with the nem. I enjoy your pics. :)

Well. It looks like I get to try to get a nem out of the sump again.

I was pulling cheato out of the tank when I saw a nem on the side of the sump's return again. I thought that crazy nem made it back down to the sump again. So I looked where I put the last nem from the sump...her was puffed up looking really cool. So I guess when the nem first made it's way down to the sump, he was either damaged, shocked, stressed or whatever. Something caused it to split either on it's journey or resting place in the sump return.

So the nem I started out with a few years ago is now three nems. One huge one and two cute little ones.

The tank is getting more stable again. The biopsis is now gone thanks ti the tech-m elevated levels. I've maintained over 1500 ppm for a few months now. By pulling what I could, removing the carbon, and the elevated levels, I was successful without having to tear down and cook my rocks.

I'm also seeing growth in things that were just stuck and making no progress. The best progress is a plate monti that I started from about the size of a quarter. Here's the pics.

Here's the original pic.

633f7f44-72a2-24a5.jpg
alt="">

Here's what it looks like today.

633f7f44-72db-1d1c.jpg
alt="">

I also gave away, traded and started other frags that broke off during cleaning etc. So, there's more than just what you see in the pics.

Thanks for looking.

I'm thinning out some of the plate corals in the tank. Anyone interested in getting some shoot me a PM.

Also this weekend I picked up some frags from Mark to try. While there, I was admiring his Midas Blenny. He has a great looking Midas in his display. I was doing some work in the Fort Worth area and decided to stop at Mid City Aquariums on my way back. I'm glad I did because they had two healthy Midas Blennies. Both were out and swimming around. Both were also gobbling up pellet food...so needless to say, they now only have one...an I have one! What a great fish. He was out hanging with all the big boys in less than an hour! Even the damsels didn't mess with him too much and they mess with everything. So now my new Midas Blenny is cruising around the tank, fighting for food with the other fish like he's been there for years.

I'll get some pics up of the new stuff soon.

Here's some pics from my tank.

First up is a few corals from Mark. Thanks Mark! I don't remember all the names, but here they are. The first pic is a green slimer, and the second one is a bird's nest (don't remember what type though.

633f7c99-4b8c-c19e.jpg
alt="">

The slimer is in an ugly hard to reach part of the tank. Hopefully it will take hold and add something nice to that corner.

Here's the bird's nest.

633f7c99-4c05-6144.jpg
alt="">

If you look beyond the bird's nest, you'll see the blue acro from Mark as well. I'm not sure of it's exact name.

633f7c99-4c75-b6ee.jpg
alt="">

The above is what I call my crab coral. It's stuck into the side of my center wall of rock. It looks like a crab to me.

Finally, here's a pic of The center section. It's where most of the colors are on display.

633f7c99-4d77-b7b8.jpg
alt="">

Next up is my new Midas Blenny. He already found a rock at the top of a Rick overlooking his new domain!

633f7c99-4f7c-5984.jpg
alt="">

No takers on the plate coral huh?

I was sitting in the living room watching TV, when my cuc went crazy. He's about 8" long and has been a good tank mate for about 2+ years, but today he decided to excrete his organs.

He usually cruises around on the bottom and on the rocks. Every now and then, he'll crawl up the glass. For the last two days he's been hanging out at the top of the front glass right in the middle of the tank. When I saw him excrete his organs, I grabbed the phone for a pic.

I read that they do that when they are irritated. As far as I've seen, there was no one around or messing with him. So I don't understand what would have caused him to do this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also for whatever it's worth the excretion process took approximately 10 minutes.

631f5644-3ab5-d681.jpg
alt="">

Well, the tank is doing fine. Everything seems to be growing or at least staying the same. So, zero losses as far as I can tell. I guess having over 300 gallons of water and removing the "guts" from the tank if possible greatly helped.

I added a Green Milli from BDare today. I hope it does well.

Thanks Ben. Here's a pic of your coral in it's new home. It kinda looks small in the tank. But them again so does everything else.
4cff623e-a443-48d1.jpg
alt="">

You can see from the pic that I'm losing a chalice. I've had the chalice and don't know why it decided to melt. Oh well. I had plenty of good times looking at it. Hopefully I'll have much more looking at your milli!

Beautiful 300 gallon. I like your work and the framing on the wall looks great.

I have one small suggestion. I didnt read through this thread so I am going off pics so I could be 100% wrong. I saw that the new tank looks to have thin plastic bracing... I think you should try and pick up some 5/8"-1/2" thick by 4" wide panels and silicone those under the plastic bracing you have. It would be veryyyy easy. I say this because I have had those types of plastic braces POP / BREAK on me twice do to heat from the lights (compact fluorescents at the time).

Just a suggestion! Otherwise beautiful tank!

I'm still trimming back a few things. So, if anyone is interested in either Monti Plate, branching Hammer coral, and some Zoanthids (I'm not sure of the name, but they are really cool looking from the colony in the center of the tank). If so, PM me...

Also, I almost always have cheato available, or at least can pull some out for you for free!

BTW>> I noticed that my status has changed...I guess I let my membership lapse. Sorry, I'm paid up...just waiting for the site to chatch up with showing me as a current member again.