Ron's 300G Tank Move and In-Wall Installation

It's about time for an update. I guess I'll start with a full tank shot from the back. I know it's weird, but it shows the heart and soul of what keeps the tank up and running.

To start, here are a few pics showing the fuge, skimmer, and a little of the plumbing. You can see how big the fish room is from the pics. I was standing just outside of the doorway (48" and worth the extra effort). The tank on the left corner is a 55 gallon with the canopy. I guess the walkway is about 3.5 feet wide.

DSC00930.jpg
alt="">

Posting that pic reminds me that I need to seal the center brace. I threw it in at the last minute...just for safety. But it looks ugly as heck.

This pic shows my cool skimmer. It's a Euro Reef CS-12 with two Sedra 5000s I picked up from another member (Casey). It doesn't have any fancy mesh mods or anything. But I like it that way. As long as I keep up with the cleaning, it works like a tank (the military kind..not fish tank
:lol: ). Anyway...here's the pic.
DSC00928.jpg
alt="">

You can see in the above pic my ghetto skimmer silencer. I don't remember where I found the idea, but it works. I got a pill bottle from CVS. They were kind enough to just give me two, all I needed. I drilled two holes in the top/cap of the bottle and one on the bottom. I used my trusty Dremmel tool to get the holes just snug enough to force the tubing into them with a snug fit. I used two on the top because the inlet tube to the skimmer was about 1.5 times as big as the only tubing I had laying around. I'd also recommend that you use the really flexible blue tubing from a local LFS for this. It is easier to get the holes right. Once the silencer is set up...bam...no more sucking noise. It works great. Although I now have a fish room, I still prefer for my tank to run as silently as possible.

Here's a pic to try to give you a better understanding.
DSC01085.jpg
alt="">
DSC01086.jpg
alt="">

And finally, here's a pic of the sump/fuge. It's a 55 that I glued some baffles in to make the bubble trap and the fuge. You can't really tell, but the water actually flown under the fuge. I was trying to maximize the space in the tank without routing the water from one end of the sump to the other. So, I put a bottom piece of plexiglass in the bottom sitting on about 8 pcv "T"s. That provides enough support so the plexiglass doesn't sag or put too much pressure on the silicone...since I know the silicone doesn't provide great support to silicone/glass surfaces. It's not great, but I basically made it out of stuff I had laying around...so it was cheap.

DSC00956.jpg
alt="">

By the way, if you look at my Free Macro thread, you'll see that it's time to trim again...so if you need some macro...pm me. It's way more full than in that pic.

OK...while I'm on a roll.

I got some new stuff for the tank.

First up is my first real SPS! Below is my JG Unknown. I'm not really sure about it, but I really liked the color. It's doing great and always has the polyps extended. Maybe it's just me, but I'd swear that it's growing already! Ill wait a few months to post another pic...just to make sure I'm not crazy.

JGUnknown.jpg
alt="">

Next up is my Blue Tort. It's also doing really well. Polyps are out and looking good. I did do something really stupid today though. While setting a new frag today, I bumped it and broke off a teeny tiny piece...but it still made me sick. Anyway, here it is just after I placed it in the tank.
BlueTort.jpg
alt="">

And here's an oldie but goodie. I picked up a hairy mushroom from Mark from Mesquite. It's never done much in my old tank. But since I put it in my new tank, it grew. In the below pic, it's really big (for it). Just a few days ago, I noticed it was pulling itself apart. It split! Now I have two that are about 1/2 as big as this. They are about the size of a silver dollar. For you young 'uns out there...that's about 2". It looks really cool under the moon lights.

HairyMushroom.jpg
alt="">

Looking good!

I've got another 2-3 weeks to get some lighting on it, but my refuguim is back on line, so I might be asking for a little macro algae in a bit... :)

That is funky how you did the sump/fuge, I don't suppose you took any pictures of it during the construction? I think I understand what you're saying, but I'd love to see it all...

And today, I got a few more cool frags I picked up today. I started today by taking a long trip from Rockwall all the way to Arlington to pick up a nice some frags.

I liked the pic he posted of his Palmer's Blue Millipora frag he posted for $15. I had a great time talking to Art and looking at his tanks. He also has a cool VW. It looks way better in person than his Icon on the board. But anyway, I got the frag and a few others. Here's a pic of the Palmer's Blue Millipora. It looks rough, but it's only been in the tank for about an hour.

PalmersBlueMillipora.jpg
alt="">

I also got two plating Montipora. One blue with purple rim and one orange one. Here's a pic of the blue tipped Monti.

BluePurpleMontipora2.jpg
alt="">

Since I was in the area, I cruised on over to Frank's Tanks. Frank is a really good guy. We chatted for quite some time. Then finally I bought some Selcon, a few frags and some AptasiaX. I took some pics of the AptasiaX in action...I'll start a different thread for that one though. Anyway, I got a really nice Montipora Digita (the branching kind) and another orange plating montipora frag.

MontiporaDigita.jpg
alt="">

You can see the little piece I snapped off of the blue tort :evil:

OrangeMontifromFrank.jpg
alt="">

I really take crappy pics. I may try to take a better pic. That one really doesn't do the piece justice.

Also two weeks ago I got an acan from Tony from Aquatic Trading. I figured I'd give them a try. It was colorful and Tony was having a good deal. BTW, I also got that cool Crocea Clam from him :wink: The pic below doesn't allow viewing of all the "heads". It has 4-5 heads. I'm not sure because it is kind of hidden.

AcanfromTony2.jpg
alt="">

And finally a few tank shots...It's kind of hard to get a feel for the aqua scaping, but the tank is kind of set up in a W shape with the base of the W at the back wall. I love the 36" deep tank!

Left Side...

DSC01079.jpg
alt="">

Right Side...

DSC01080.jpg
alt="">

Wow, that's really starting to come together. Congratz on all the coral scores. I can't wait for my big tank build thread... i guess i need the tank first... hmm.

Brian,

You know me...I rarely take enough pictures. But I did take a few pics when I first put it on the other tank. With the center brace on the new tank it's kind of hard to see. But basically it's a box with the water flowing underneath. I think this is the best pic of how to it works. The milky water shows how much more water it holds the way it built it. The idea was to not waste the space normally above a fuge. It still has plenty enough flow under the tube. I figure 12"X1" is as much as many folks use in a bubble trap...so I figured it should be enough running under the fuge too. You can also see the 1x1 square reinforcements I added to get a little extra support between the acrylic and glass. They are at the back of the fuge and between the dividers in the bubble trap.

Anyway, here's the pic I was talking around.

DSCF0024.jpg
alt="">

An added benefit is that while the water is traveling under the fuge, many of the micro and small bubbles tend to combine. When it exits on the other side of the fuge, the now larger bubbles tend to pop up quickly...before they get sucked into the return pumps making more mcro bubbles. It also acts as another divider in the bubble trap too.

Here's something I never noticed before. My black cucumber is shedding. I've noticed before that sometimes he looked "cleaner" than others. But now I captured what's happening. He's shedding. The day before the shedding, he was his normal dark black self. But the next day I woke up to:

DSC01121.jpg
alt="">

Here's a little closer shot.

DSC01122.jpg
alt="">

From the pictures, there's quite a noticeable difference in the color and look. The pics were taken with only the actinics on, so the color is off a bit. The color is almost a yellowish brown. It's a different kind of look, but it's different. After a few days it takes on the more traditional black look.

Dang...I guess it's been a while since I've posted. I lost my camera battery charger and couldn't take any pictures. So, now that I've replaced it..I'm back in action.

Anyway, I had two Koralia K-4's. About two weeks ago, my GFI circuit breaker blew. While troubleshooting, I found one of my K-4's was causing it. So, I removed it. I soaked both of them in a vinegar solution for two days, scrubbed them, and gave them a good brushing in the stator hole. When I put them back together, obviously the one causing the short still blew the GFI. The other one ran for about a day and stopped! I was down for circulation. :evil:

This weekend while cruising around Arlington, I stopped at Tranquil Scape. He had two Tunze 6010's and a 7095 controller in the used section! So, I had to ask about them. Vincent took the time to set them up and get me familiar with their operation. Vincent spent a lot of his time making sure everything worked properly. When I as satisfied that they worked and had all the pieces, I bought them. :shock: Thanks Vincent.

Man do these things blow away the pair of K4's I had! I've never had such fine pumps and a controller before now. I'm really digging the control these provide. I've been messing with different settings over the weekend. I think I have it dialed in about where I want it for now. I guess I'll do some research and see if I can find some sort of pattern of flow I would like to achieve.

I didn't get a chance to take a pic before the halides went off...so, here's a pic with the actinics only.

DSC01129.jpg
alt="">

Well now that the camera is charged...here is a few of the new tank additions.

First off, here's the new Turbiniria cup coral I purchased recently. I've been looking for one that would go with my current setup and I finally found one at a reasonable price.

DSC01134.jpg
alt="">

The tank overall has been doing pretty well. So, here are a few shots of the tank.

Left side:

DSC01131.jpg
alt="">

Center:

DSC01135.jpg
alt="">

Right side"

DSC01132.jpg
alt="">

I was digging through some of my old pics from 2002 and found an old pic of my acrylic 300. I was so happy when I first bought the tank...it had a center overflow (my first reef ready tank) and a big wet/dry full of bio balls. I started it as an "aggressive" tank. I had a really large Imperor angel, decent size clown trigger, Emperor Snapper, and a clown tang. Everyone got along fine and were growing like weeds.

The tank was doing great...except for constant high nitrates...but the fish didn't seem to mind. Then I had to move from Ohio to Texas. The local fish store was generous enough to give me like 25% of what the fish were worth. I think I got about $75 for the Imperor angel (about 10-12 inches) in perfect health.

Anyway, here's a pic of the tank back in it's day!

DSCF0010.jpg
alt="">

I'm getting my tank framed in today! It's about freaking time. I can't believe it, but my tank's 7 months old this month...and I'm just getting around to framing in this thing. The biggest reason for most of the delay is that the wife and I couldn't agree on a frame type. We decided to go with something that ties into the existing fireplace. When it's done, I'l post some pics.

But to give you something to look at, here's a few pics of new additions and growth.

I guess I'll start with a pic of the Plamer's Blue Milli growth. If you look back, you can see how it started...It was a stick back then...but it looks like it's going to have a crapload of branches now and is encrusting the base!

DSC01152.jpg
alt="">

The next update is from the orange plate coral I got from Frank's Tanks. Man this thing is a fast grower. Everything below the bend is new growth since I added it to the tank.

DSC01153.jpg
alt="">

Here's an Acan...

DSC01154.jpg
alt="">

Chalice. I got this from Neptune's cove. I's doing pretty well too. When I first added it, it only had flesh on the top part. Now the sides have colored up and even started spilling onto the surrounding rock.

DSC01150.jpg
alt="">

Dan is the man! Today he framed my tank. I was having a hard time settling on a frame type. We were really worried about having a large frame stained to match the surrounding wood work. But, I must say Dan (from DCT Woodcraft) nailed it. My living room stained base boards and a matching fireplace. So, having a tank that did not match was a concern of ours. Not anymore! Dan matched the wood type and color perfectly.

Thanks Dan!

So, I'll throw up some pics of the tank before he started his magic.

DSC01161.jpg
alt="">

Another View:

DSC01162.jpg
alt="">

With Dan's excellent ability to color match existing molding, the frame matched the wood perfectly.

DSC01163.jpg
alt="">

The entire frame was built and delivered assembled. So, he just had to glue and nail it to the wall. The man in action...I'm not sure if this is his best picture side.

[imghttp:800:600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/t_ron99/DSC01167.jpg[/img]

And the finished product...

3.jpg
alt="">

DSC01175.jpg
alt="">

DSC01176.jpg
alt="">

The wife is really happy now...she doesn't have to look at the hole in the wall.

Thanks for looking!

I've since cleaned the front glass and entire viewing area. I didn't realize how nasty the glass has gotten.

Also, I changed the back cover from Blue to Black. I'm not sure which one I like best yet. I'll post some pics of the black background soon.

BTW...I stole the idea from Serk and used black foam board from a sign shop. It's held up with hook and loop (velcro). I'm going to let the black ride for a while. If I don't like it, I have a can on blue spray paint...so I can just paint the back blue and flip it over. :D

I'm glad the tank is finally a permanent nice part of the house that's incorporated into the rest of the house.

I took a few pics of some of my new corals.

First is my Staghorn. It's about 4 inches tall and forks at the end. Right now it only has two brances with two little blue tips. I'm hoping the Staghorn gets a little more color to it...it's kind of brown and only hte tips are blue.

DSC01184.jpg
alt="">

While I usually don't buy "rescue" corals, they had a single polyp stuck on a big old plug for $5. Since it's only $5 and I've never owned a single polyp coral before...so I took a chance. Here's the pic of the little guy. I hope to have an update to it in the future. It's made it for a whole week.

DSC01182.jpg
alt="">

Lastly, I picked up these two from Mark from Mesquite. I picked up a Baby Blue/Green Turaki and a Purple Maze. I've never had these two types of corals before either...so...give it a try. I just put them in the tank yesterday, so they may be kinda dull looking...and my picture taking skills really suck still.

DSC01180.jpg
alt="">

Well, I'm back. I've been hanging around the boards, but have definitely been negligent in my maintenance and postings.

I've been putting time in my tank again. Since I've been a slacker on the maintenance, I'm fighting an algae problem. It's far from over but I've been making steady progress.

Here's a full tank shot. notice the Christmas garland to Belen in with the tree and other decorations.

6365716e-825b-715d.jpg
alt="">

I've made a few changes to the system, but most are for ease of maintenance and not visible from the front.

I'll post some of the changes over the next couple if days or so. I may even post some pics of the livestock...if I can get something worth posting! Yep, my photo skills still suck. But at least now I can post using my iPhone and tapatalk! It's so much easier now!

It's late and only the moon lights are on. But I wanted to post a couple of Pics so y'all would see that there is still life in my tank!

h a pic of my anemone, big girl clown, and hammer. The hammer has well over 20 heads.

6365716e-85af-e1b5.jpg
alt="">

Here's my Monti and Galaxia. Both are doing well.

6365716e-867e-afc6.jpg
alt="">