Mat's 255 Gallon Rimless Aquarium Build

@Blue Water wrote:
Do you still have the lawnmower blenny? I had two and they died on me. Never could figure it out other than not enough green algae for them. BTW I was snorkel ing in Costa Rica and saw a huge lawnmower about 8" long. hehe said:
No the blue damsel I had in the aquarium bit him in the but when he was cleaning the glass at the top of the aquarium and he died in the floor. Well needless to say the blue damsel is gone now too.

I have a new blenny now. Its a starry blenny. He is pretty small right now.

Well its time for the tank to get an overhaul. I have been running the LED's for about a year now and I think I need more power. The sps that are on the lower part of the aquarium that require allot of light are just not as colorful as I like them. I could pump up my whites a bit, but that takes the color out of the spectrum that I want to view. Anyway I decided to add one more Led pendant and to redo my sump to make it more efficient. I'm still working on the sump design so it may be a bit before I get it all together. I will post my final draft one I get it all together.

I purchased the new GHL Mitras 6200. Here is a pic below. What I found out was that the new 6200 pendant is not compatible with the other three that I have because the LED's are different. So I think I will mount this one soon and see what the difference is. It is supposed to be more blue for reefs. I know it got rid of one of the extra red led's. As you can see from the picture they are exactly the same except for the pucks.

This is the new puck. List below is the new LEd's that are used. Its almost the same as the other one. I will have to see if I don't like the color of the new one, so I can decide on which pucks I'm going to change out. The old ones or the new ones.

Mitras 6200HV:
12 x Cree XP-E blue
12 x Cree XT-E cool white
12 x Cree XT-E royal blue
6 x Cree XT-E neutral white
6 x Osram Oslon SSL true green
6 x Osram Oslon SSL sky white
6 x Osram Oslon SSL blue white
6 x Osram Oslon SSL hyperred
6 x hyper violet 425 nm

@mtraylor wrote:
Well its time for the tank to get an overhaul. I have been running the LED's for about a year now and I think I need more power. The sps that are on the lower part of the aquarium that require allot of light are just not as colorful as I like them. I could pump up my whites a bit said:
Im just asking so do think im slamming you but why not go with a MH/LED combo? I have been planning on going this route on my 120 SPS tank when I can afford it and am currently doing it on my 30 gallon Zoa tank. My thoughts are you get the best of both worlds...the growth and pigment from the MH and the pop from the LEDs.

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
[I]@mtraylor wrote:[/I][quote="Well its time for the tank to get an overhaul. I have been running the LED's for about a year now and I think I need more power. The sps that are on the lower part of the aquarium that require allot of light are just not as colorful as I like them. I could pump up my whites a bit said:
Im just asking so do think im slamming you but why not go with a MH/LED combo? I have been planning on going this route on my 120 SPS tank when I can afford it and am currently doing it on my 30 gallon Zoa tank. My thoughts are you get the best of both worlds...the growth and pigment from the MH and the pop from the LEDs."]

No worries. Yeah, I have to admit I'm the one of the biggest MH fans you have ever seen, but after getting these LED's, my electric bill has never been lower. The corals have never looked better. No joke here. The only corals I have issues with at this point is the light hungry SPS that I have in the sand area. They were there when I had MH's. They don't have enough par. The new light will make it mission accomplished. If I were able to move those corals I would but they are attached to the land scaping.

Where did you get the magnets and are they reef safe coated?...if not its not a big concern....I have a similar use for them as well. Its just if they will work in the tank as well....thats even more things I can do with them.

I purchased my magnets from a place off of plano road and Avenue K. They are reef safe with an enamel on them. I don't think that company sells to public directly anymore, you will have to order online and I don't remember the name of the place.

@mtraylor wrote:
I purchased my magnets from a place off of plano road and Avenue K. They are reef safe with an enamel on them. I don't think that company sells to public directly anymore said:
Here the place for the magnet's.

Applied Magnets
1111 Summit Avenue Suite #8
Plano, TX 75074
http://www.magnet4less.com

Well I guess I could say that I couldn't be happier with the lighting. By adding the 4th light, the SPS have never looked better. I have added allot of new corals, but my new focus is to clean up the water. With all the big fish now.... I think its time I actually filter my water instead of just letting the detris go to the refugium and to the protein skimmer. I have started the final stages of designing my new sump.

I started designing the sump today since its cold outside. The water will come into the left chamber with two bulk heads that I have not drawn yet, and filter over the spill into the 4 filter socks. Then the water will go into the protein skimmer department. The square is the back wall, will be my new refugium. I think the water should be allot cleaner and clearer now. ONce I finis the whole design, I will have to compare prices on building myself or having it built.

Here is a pic of what I have designed thus far.

Looks good...I don't know how much clearer you can get your water, everythings already floating in air. [smilie=lol.gif]

Cheerz

Thanks Ron, but these big fish I have, are still growing and making a mess. I have finished the design on the sump and have started construction. Its almost 100 gallons and takes up almost all the space under the sump, so I have to redo all the mechanical filtration. I have decided on several different external reactors for carbon, gfo, and recirculating biopellet reactors for the new build. Here is my final design. There is a input for the filter socks that you don't see, as well as a lid for the other portion to keep noise down.

@mtraylor wrote:
I purchased the new GHL Mitras 6200. Here is a pic below. What I found out was that the new 6200 pendant is not compatible with the other three that I have because the LED's are different. So I think I will mount this one soon and see what the difference is. It is supposed to be more blue for reefs. I know it got rid of one of the extra red led's. As you can see from the picture they are exactly the same except for the pucks. said:
How many lights are you running off of that tank now? Did you like the blend of the 6100HV vs the 6200HV? I have 5 6100's and will need a few more for my new tank, but I'm not sure how the blend will look.

I"m running 4 Mitras on my aquarium now. You cant mix the mitras 6100 with the 6200's on the same master slave programming because of the difference in the led's in the pucks. The 6200's are a little more blue than the 6100's and they dont look anything alike. I purchased extra pucks to go with 6100 look or 6200 look. They are pretty easy to change out. I"m currently running all 6100 pucks. I will use 6200 pucks when my 6100's need changed. The 6200's give a more glowing look on the corals.