Mat's 255 Gallon Rimless Aquarium Build

Yes. That is most fun. Too bad it wasn't a rare coral. [smilie=smile.gif]

Well I'm having fun with this top down pics, so I took a pic of my Bonsai during the day. It like the look of this coral all day.

Yeah I'm liking the top down, but they are hard to take. Well I'm 3 weeks into the LED's and all the corals are ok so far. I have my huge pearl berry and red planet corals thriving, even outside the Alk issue I had. I think I'm going to break them up and get rid of the big colonies. Easier to document growth and add the new corals I bought. All my zoo's and lps, and sps have shown no issues. Here is a pic of some really cool polyps from my phone. I also have a huge patch of these in neon green and peach. Very cool at night.

Thanks. I decided to break up my pearlberry. I took a piece and mounted it towards the bottom to see how it does. I have millis inches off the sand that are doing well, but figured I would try the pearlberry. Here is a pic for the new year morning. Going to be interesting to see how this one grows. I will frag another piece from the mother colony and place in the top of the aquarium.

Hey man tank looks great... liking your LED setup still not ready to ditch My MH yet though LOL we will talk later next time u drop by the shop...give me a call later Ill drop by so I can see this thing in person

@Dynamic_Reef wrote:
Hey man tank looks great... liking your LED setup still not ready to ditch My MH yet though LOL we will talk later next time u drop by the shop...give me a call later Ill drop by so I can see this thing in person said:
Thanks. Yeah it took me a while before I went over to the "light Side" [smilie=wink.gif]

I stopped by there yesterday looking for you. I will stop by on the weekend. Here is a new shot of my frags I put in. 3 more weeks with LED's. This is a new shot since the 20th and as you can see they are growning and coloring up nicely. The one up in the upper left is starting to get real pretty. I got a big bag of goodies from wet thumb, so I have placed another 10 new frags in the aquarium. I also replaced my RTN'd piece. Here is a pic.

These are a couple of what I'm hoping will be real nice show pieces from wet thumb. On the left is Tierra Elada. Its like the Tierra de fuego, but they didn't have that anymore. On the right is Romeo Acro.

sounds good man .. yeah WT always has some nice stuff was gonna place a Rocky mnt frags order here soon..

Question did you get your alk and PH under control yet not sure if its the LED or just the lighting in the tank looks like you have some stage 2 cyno going in there.. you run CA reactor right? are you topping off with KALK to help with the balance?

I'm not sure what stage 2 cyno is, but every since my little mishap, I have been battling the ph. It wants to go low for some reason. Not sure what I need to do to get it back to 8.2. Its around 7.88 range now. I don't think I can get it back to 8.2. I slowed my effluent up last night. Will wait a week or two to see whats going on on. After I did the big water change I have diatoms, and some green algea in some low flow areas. Not sure how to tackle this thus far. I have been looking for some threads to these issue when going to LED's. Yes I run a Calc reactor. I'm not doing any KALK top off. I have never done that before.

well stage 2 cyno is kinda like turf algea it comes from imbalance in KH vs PH since CO2 drops KH it results in and not too sure of the techincal terms here .. but from experience it has always seemed to produce that reddish turf that u see.. I suggest topping off with kalk to keep your PH stable.. all I do is topoff with Kalk+2 from brightwell.. friend of mine runs AI sols had same issues till he started topping of with kalk to maintain his PH during evaporation.. just a suggestion..

Try turning off all red spectrum's and see if it starts to clear up by tomorrow evening. I really think your tank is just readjusting after the alk incident. [smilie=smile.gif]

Cheers,

After decreasing the effluent, my ph has creeped up to 7.99 today. I will see how it does over the next week. I will look at my LED's and possibly reduce the red at the end of next week. Want to see what tank does as PH rises.

Well I have turned down the red led's a bit. I found that one of my pumps is not working so that is the next thing to fix to reduce a bit of the algae I seen. The Tierra Elada and Romeo Acro are starting to color up a bit.

These frags are continuing to get more color. I'm hoping they will start branching out soon. Of course the dang birds nest is spreading its wings.

Well I think I'm well enough into the LED's to say they are working well for me. I'm still working on coral placement, but I don't see much of a difference in my last setup than the one I have now, besides that the new setup is way better in controlling spectrum and dusk and dawn features. The clouds feature is really cool, but I think the lightning storms is over the top IMO. Anyway, I got a new nugget from Neptunes Cove. This is my new addition. Took a picture tonight.