Search results

1. K

Friend in Tyler needs help

I recently gave the 8-year old niece of an officemate an idle JBL 12G nano. The little girl lives in Tyler. She and her Mom are a bit overwhelmed with all this. They haven't found a LFS in Tyler that can help them. Is there someone in or near Tyler who would be willing to offer them a little...
  2. K

Free Percula Clown

We need to take down a 12G Nano we have at home. It houses a single Percula Clown fish. I'd put him in my big tank at the office except I already have a large YSM Clown. I'm just afraid things would turn out bad for Nemo. We'd love to give him free of charge to someone who has an open spot in...
  3. K

Controlling Bubble Algae

I'm fighting bubble algae (Ventricaria ventricosa) in my tank. From my quick research, it appears that manual removal is the only effective method of controlling this stuff. Anybody have any other suggestions? TIA!
  4. K

RO/DI Question

I have one of Marc's water makers. It's been running 8 months now and I estimate I've made 600G of RO/DI water. I have not changed any of the cartridges since the unit was new. I just bought a Hanna Primo TDS meter. After calibration, the RO/DI water is testing 9 ppm. I was planning to change...
  5. K

Mixing Clowns in 120G

My wife wants to take down her 10G Nano in which she has a small Percula clownfish. I already have a larger YSM clownfish in my 120G at the office. The YSM pretty much hides in the rockwork on one end of the tank. Is it a death sentence for the Percula to introduce it into my 120G or given the...
  6. K

Skimmer PRoblems

I have a ASM G4+ skimmer with a gate valve modification. Up and running since July. Lately it's been acting weird... all of a sudden it will start overflowing the collection cup. Now, I notice that it is spitting out fluid from the vent pipe on the gate valve assembly. Does the skimmer pump...
  7. K

Oct 15 Tank Pics

I bought my 120G from Anthony Patrick about 6 months. I started cycling in June and then transfered all the livestock I had at the time from my 40G, which had been up and running for about 18 months. Since then I've been slowing adding all the neat stuff I wasn't able to host in my 40G. Many...
  8. K

SPS Dipping

I plan to start adding SPS frags and have read about iodine dipping to eliminate the potential parasites. Could not find Lugol's solution but did buy a generic Betadine solution ( 10% Povidone-Iodine) which according to the label is equivalent to 1% available iodine. Will that work? Also, what...
  9. K

Running Carbon

I want to start running carbon using a PhosBan 150 reactor. Any brand of media work better than another? How much media should I buy? Does it hurt to run carbon 24/7 or is that overkill? TIA!
  10. K

Best Use for Oceanic 40G HEx

For Christmas 2004, my wife unexpectedly gave me a salt water setup. My first SW tank. It was a Oceanic 40G Hex complete with stand, a CPR Bac-Pac HOB skimmer, and a couple of MaxiJets. Live sand but no live rock, fake plants, and 4 YT damsels. After we went to the LFS and I saw the reef tanks...
  11. K

Ca/Alk Maintenance- Kalkwasser Drip or CA Reactor

I've been manually adding Kent Turbo Calcium and baking soda to maintain calcium and alkalinity levels in my tank. I'm having pretty good luck keeping Ca at the proper level but can't seem to get the alkalinity up into the desired range. I had always thought a Ca reactor (though expensive) was...
  12. K

New Fish Suggestion

Currently in my tank I have the following fish: Flame Angel Foxface Sixline Wrasse Tomato Clown Regal Tang Yellow Sailfin Tang Orange Spotted Diamond Goby All are small to medium in size. I've had the Flame Angel, Wrasse, and Goby for almost 18 months and they made the trip over to the new...
  13. K

New 120G Pictures

I posted a question earlier today about where to placement the Tunze 6000s in my new 120G setup. I promised some pics so here they are...
  14. K

Alternative Tunze 6000 Placements

I have a 4x2x2 (single corner overflow) with a new 4" DSB and dual 6000s with 7095 controller. As per the manual and suggestions posted on RC, I located the 6000s in the back corners with the output converging in the front center of the tank. Even on minimal 30% flow I excavated the front center...
  15. K

Starfish Not Recommended for DSB?

I'm seeing conflicting information about the advisability of adding a brittle and/or a serpant starfish to a reef tank with a DSB. Is it or is it not recommended? Also, would the same concern apply to a cucumber?
  16. K

Live Rock w/ GHA OK for Refugium?

I have some live rock in my existing tank that have green hair algae growing on them. I was planning to cook these pieces before I add them to my new tank. Would it be okay to put some of these rocks in my new refugium instead?
  17. K

Setting Up New Refugium

I've been reading past threads but haven't found a definite FAQ on setting up a refugium. It is approximatley 10G and occupies 1/4th of my overall sump. 1) Do you add live sand. If so, how deep? 2) Do you have live rock? 3) It looks like the macro algae just floats, ie, is not planted. Is that...
  18. K

Best Location For IceCap Ballasts

I have a partial hood over my 48X2X2 tank. That is, the hood itself is only 12" deep and is open in the front and back to allow easy access to the tank. I have two 250W SE MH bulbs along with 2 48" Super actinic VHO tubes. The VHOs are being driven by an IceCap 430 ballast. Each MH is driven by...
  19. K

Cleanup Crew Recommendation

I'm firing up my 120G tank. 180# LR w/ DSB. Will eventually add additional 75# LR from current tank after it cooks. No fish yet. What would yall recommend for a cleanup crew. In general, I like crabs/shrimp more than snails but would like to keep all 3. What and how many should I start with...
  20. K

AquaController Jr Group Buy in Progress

Premium Aquatics is running a group buy on the Neptune Systems AquaController Jr controller for Reef Central members. Unit w/ temp probe and DC8 box is $240. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C-NEP-ACJR&Category_Code=