Search results

1. B

Calcium Reactor media for magnesium

I had mentioned during the meeting that there was a media supplement you could add to your calcium reactor ARM media that would add magnesium to the output. Someone had asked me after the meeting about it but all I could remember at the time was it was made by Brightwell. So here's a picture of...
  2. B

Black vinyl tubing

Does anyone know a place local that sells the black vinyl tubing? They used to sell at home depot but went today and was told they no longer stock it.
  3. B

Ben's 105g 48x24x21 Rimless Starfire

So I figured I should start a build thread on this one since I didn't do one for the tank I have now. Here's what I have so far: Tank: 48" L x 24" W x 21" T rimless, bottom euro-braced, with starfire on 3 sides. BeanAnimal type back overflow similar to ReefSavvy Ghost Overflow. Stand...
  4. B

Thanksgiving special on ReefAngel

Just saw that Robert put up some nice Thanksgiving specials on the ReefAngel. <u>20% Off on a Reef Angel Plus Controller + Wifi Attachment Combo</u> PWM dimming $302.40 Analog dimming $318.40 <u>Free Wifi Attachment on a Reef Angel Plus Controller + Salinity Expansion Combo</u> PWM dimming...
  5. B

Rimless jumper prevention

So as a sort of continuation on this thread where Joe lost his trigger viewtopic.php?f=99&t=115518 but couldn't because it's locked. I'm getting ready to switch to rimless too. What do people do to prevent jumping accidents? I've only ever had jumpers at night time so I was thinking of...
  6. B

Heater refurb

So I have a titanium or stainless (not sure which) heater with digital temp controller that I got from another member that was tearing down their tank. It had a bunch of calcium buildup on it so I soaked it and scrubbed it then I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder and get it completely...
  7. B

Galaxia and algae holes

I recently got a baseball sized galaxia from another member and it wasn't in very good shape. It had a lot of algae growing on it and one nickle sized hole on the top side where the algae had started eating into it. I dipped in some peroxide and tank water and used a toothbrush and was able to...
  8. B

Plumbers putty?

I've used the epoxy putty stick on a few things and it works out well for things that I want to permanently attach. I was wondering if the "Ultra" non-staining, non-toxic, non-soluble, non-hardening plumbers putty that is made for natural and porous surfaces would be okay to use to temporarily...
  9. B

Very swollen zoanthid polyp

Has anyone ever seen a zoa polyp develop what looks like a blister that is 3 to 4 times the normal size of the polyp? I have a patch of eagle eyes and one of the polyps is doing this. All the other polyps in the colony look fine. No sign of any nudibranchs, flatworms, or predator snails...
  10. B

NOM NOM NOM

Hungry Duncan is Hungry duncan.jpg Pic of my new duncan after the lights went out trying to munch on a snail. There is more of the snail in his mouth than sticking out there. I need to get a decent camera, best I could do with my cell.
  11. B

Is my nem "Special"

I got a new GBTA about a week ago and he's great as long as the lights are on. In the night after the lights are out he gets himself into trouble. When I first put him in he was all inflated and bubbled up, very nice looking, strong foothold to where he was. He ate some mysis I gave him. He...
  12. B

My LED build

Just got done getting all my LED fixtures built so I figured I would throw up some pictures. I have 2 Ecoray 60 OEM fixtures that I got strait from china. I also built 2 fixtures based on the Maker's LED 12" heatsinks. The Ecoray 60's originally came with a single non-dimmable driver for the...
  13. B

Which return pump?

I have a 4x2x2 120g with dual corner overflows and returns. I haven't built my sump yet but I have about 46" width in the stand to work with. I had purchased a Reeflo blowhole 1100 to push an ETS downdraft skimmer and an Eheim 1262 I had intended for the return pump. For space reasons I have...
  14. B

Downdraft or something newer?

I have an ETSS 800 downdraft skimmer that I used on my old tank that I've kept for when I setup a new tank. I'll be setting up a 125g soon and I'm wondering if I should stick with the downdraft or go for something newer? I don't have a pump for the ETSS 800 and it needs a Iwaki 55 or...