Rimless jumper prevention

Ben

Premium Member
So as a sort of continuation on this thread where Joe lost his trigger viewtopic.php?f=99&t=115518 but couldn't because it's locked.

I'm getting ready to switch to rimless too. What do people do to prevent jumping accidents?

I've only ever had jumpers at night time so I was thinking of getting a few plexi pieces and just lying them across the top at night and then removing each morning. I was also thinking this would help with evaporation some too. Is anyone else doing something similar? I don't want to go with the netting because it's an eyesore and not easily removed.

You can silicon some acrylic cut in triangles and mount them alittle below the glass and then have the netting frame sit on the tabs and have it flush with the rimless

I know you said you don't like netting. I think you will get tired of cleaning off the plexiglass as it will collect evaporation everyday and you will wipe it down to me that is uglier than clear netting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@reeferwanabe wrote:
Or don't buy any jumpers said:
Right but I was pretty sure that triggers weren't jumpers but tell that to Joe now. Wouldn't all fish be jumpers under the proper circumstances?

My clown jumped out and replaced hime with a pair of ora Picasso clowns one of them jumped into the over flow now as a temp solution I have added the glass tops on.
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385405933.691592.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@Ben Runnels wrote:
Wouldn't all fish be jumpers under the proper circumstances? said:
I think it's probably good to assume they would. My tank has a top, but while I was in my office one night working after the lights were out my wife came in and turned on the main light in the room. I saw my clown jump, hit the top, and fall back into the tank. Luckily he just seemed stunned for a minute and he's been fine ever since.

I've heard theories that if you have enough height between the top of your rock work and the water level that this will cut back on the chances of a fish jumping, but even then there's no guarantee. And my next tank is going to be rimless, so I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want a net or glass cover over it. That just seems to ruin the whole look of the rimless tank to me. If I had to do that I might as well just put a canopy on it (no offense to anyone who has that... just personal opinion).

I have been thinking about this as I have a rimless ...

My idea was a screen with small L brackets screwed onto the sides
It would come off as a whole screen and be fitted ..

You would not see the L brackets if you bought them small eanough ..

Bad thing Is you would bed to replace them unless u bought non rusting ones ..

Would like to see the design if im thinking the same way you are what about plastic screws?

I know that anthias jumps, clowns, and most Wrasses. I've lost about 6 bartletts already from them jumping out. I notice it less when i disabled my lightning storm effect. Also they'll jump if you have lights come on at night while they're sleeping. It shocks them and they like go crazy. So... this is where you choose.. rimless or fish.

I'd still choose rimless. Just keep the rockwork low from the water line and all "should" be fine. I never had an issue but not saying that I never will. I also have the lightning storm option but is disabled for that reason.

This has been my only idea, which basically is a 2 "S" brackets on each side, one set being in the front, and other in rear ( 4 brackets total). By putting them on the side, it would minimize the visibility. could put an angle on the brackets to leave a small enough gap to squeeze fingers in between screen and glass to remove, or if they're metal brackets, could use a magnet to raise a corner up to grab it.. Obviously, the lower the profile the better it will look. Just an idea, feel free to add any thoughts.
ytuhegyb.jpg
alt="">

Ive seen something like that on my uncles old rimless tank, but his used a glass top. I like how this thread is turning out. Great ideas in here.

My idea came from Vrba frag tank here is a pic of it before the left the hobby. Keep it off when you are around and then put it on when your not

paqy2ahe.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@reeferwanabe wrote:
Those are great ideas. Problem with my tank is that it wouldn't sit even as the return pipes would be in the way. ~Matt said:
Sheesh Matt!! We can't please EVERYYYBODY!! ;) :) ;)

@reeferwanabe wrote:
Those are great ideas. Problem with my tank is that it wouldn't sit even as the return pipes would be in the way. ~Matt said:
If you do the screens, you could do 90deg. Around the return pipes

@ReefJunky wrote:
[I]@reeferwanabe wrote:[/I][quote="Those are great ideas. Problem with my tank is that it wouldn't sit even as the return pipes would be in the way. ~Matt said:
Sheesh Matt!! We can't please EVERYYYBODY!! ;) :) ;)"]
Why not??? Lol.

~Matt

@Sherman wrote:
[I]@reeferwanabe wrote:[/I][quote="Those are great ideas. Problem with my tank is that it wouldn't sit even as the return pipes would be in the way. ~Matt said:
If you do the screens, you could do 90deg. Around the return pipes"]
Yup, I'm sure I could do something similar. Not going to worry about it now, haven't the need for it...yet, lol.

~Matt