Heater refurb

Ben

Premium Member
So I have a titanium or stainless (not sure which) heater with digital temp controller that I got from another member that was tearing down their tank. It had a bunch of calcium buildup on it so I soaked it and scrubbed it then I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder and get it completely clean. There is some pitting in the surface of the metal in places but nothing looks too thin or anything and it still heats like it should when I stuck it in a bucket to test. I also did a voltage test to ensure no voltage leakage from it.

Now my question: Is there anything I can prepare the surface of the metal with to help prevent any further corrosion that won't release any nasty chemicals when heated? Should I worry about it or just use it and if it rusts or corrodes more just replace it? Finally, is there any tried and true DIY method to ensure the metal tube can't melt a hole in my sump if it's suction cups let loose or something? I like the JBJ heater guard that they have for their titanium heaters.

there isnt really much you can do to keep it from corroding - the temp fluctuations and salt water will do a job on any paint or coating you could put on it. stainless will last a lifetime in a freshwater tank, but in saltwater it will eventually give out - though it could still have many years to go.