Search results

1. N

Hello DFWMAS

I am posting in the NTH forum because that is how I feel. I have moved back somewhat close to Metroplex and I am starting a new build. I currently have a small 14 Biocube setup and gathering pieces for a 40B. I bought the tank at the $1 gallon sale and already have the light and plenty of rock...
  2. N

Well, not really new.

Thought I would post here, I was a Member of DFWMAS from 2004 to 2010. I have relocated to Nashville and am just getting back into the hobby. I figured this board contains the best group of reefers so I would re-join so you guys can answer all of my stupid questions again. I am going to put...
  3. N

Article on Skimmers

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2#h1 Really great article on Skimmers. I did get heavy-head in a couple of parts but well worth plowing through.
  4. N

Will this work

I found a 300W CF fixture at Tractor Supply that has a 6,700K. It is only $49.00 with bulbs. I was wondering if it would work for a frag/grow out tank. I have looked online and can find a link, but they sell the replacement bulbs for $19.00 there. The color temp seems OK for a grow out. Any...
  5. N

Directions to Information

I have been looking online and I am have a hard time finding information on the different controllers available for our tanks. I can find many places to buy them but I am looking for just what they do and what you need to get it done. The websites mention X-10s and other things I have no idea...
  6. N

Where to look?

Can someone please give me their recommendations for websites that sell T5 retro fit pieces and parts.
  7. N

Getting back in!

I have been watching an empty 50 gallon circulate water for about 9 months now. There is nothing in it but sand and rock. I travel for a living and funds are short so I thought I would just keep the LR alive and wait until I get a break from work to set it up. My main problem has been not being...
  8. N

Ocean Runner Pumps?

I have the 3500 and I have not had any problems with it. I bought it because one came on my skimmer and when I needed a new return pump I thought it would be good to keep all of the pumps the same. Their customer service is awesome. When I broke my impeller (All me, not the manufacturers fault)...
  9. N

My Snowflake is Broken

Last night I went to feed my Snowflake Eel. I have been gone for a week and he is used to eating every 3 or 4 days. I thawed a shrimp and stuck it in the water and he came swimming out. He grabbed the shrimp and dropped it. I watched as he chased it around but he could not pick it up. I reached...
  10. N

CF Help

Is there a club member here who can trouble shoot and or fix CF fixtures? I have 2 duel 95w ballasts and 2 duel 65w ballasts and all 4 will only light 1 bulb each. I have completely removed them from my canopy and at this time I am just using overdriven NO bulbs. I only have low light critters...
  11. N

Redoing sump

I have a question and I wanted everyone input. After the holiday season I am going to be revamping my sump/refuge area with some of my CHRISTmas presents off of my wish list. I am going to be adding sand, baffles and a new return pump to my sump/refuge. I think it will be down for about a...
  12. N

YT w/eating disorder

I have a question concerning one of my Yellow Tangs, He/she flucuates back and forth by not eating, looking rail-thin and then eating again. It is on one of the skinny/weak cycles now and I found him stuck to a power head this morning. I pried it off and he swam away like nothing happened. Does...
  13. N

Tufa Rock

Has any one used the Tufa rock from Whiz-Q in their tanks? I have about 40 lbs and it looks pretty good. I had to break some pieces apart to get the look I wanted because they were mostly round. I do not have have a camera so I was hoping someone else would post some pics if they are using it...
  14. N

Unorthodox cooling

Well guys I got hit by the summer heat yesterday. When I leave the house in the morning I always move my A/C to about 78. With my fans and lights the tank always maintains about 80. Well I am not sure what I did but when I got home yesterday and thermostat was sitting on about 82 and my tank...
  15. N

Not really an In-Wall, but close.

Well I have recieved permission from the wife, keeper of the checkbook to build a "Faux" in wall tank. This is a couple of months down the line and I wanted to post my ideas here so I can plan out any mistakes that could arise. My plan is to use my current 125 as the display. My 60 cube as a...
  16. N

Lighting question with crude drawing attached!

I am trying to figure out my lighting scheme on the new 125 that I have set up. I can not afford 3 more MH right now and I was wondering if I could place my 400w MH on one end and pc on the rest of the tank. I just wonder if it would look weird. I plan to keep a coulpe of sps on the right side...
  17. N

Need to buy lights

I am looking for a good source for six 2x55w PC retro fixutres. I need the entire retro kit, Ballests, wiring, bulbs, reflectors. Right now I am probably going to go with AH Supply brightlight kits. I just wanted to make sure there were no others I did not know about before I ordered them. Here...
  18. N

Complacency in reef keeping

Well I messed up. I use well water for my reef, water changes, top off ect. I tested it everytime before use and it was always fine. TDS at average 10. Well I stopped testing it everytime and just went with it. Sunday I get home from church and notice a lot of algea on the glass. My daughter...
  19. N

Sand question

[Every year or two I make a trip to my home state of Ga. Lately we have been spending some time on our way in Panama City, FL. If any one has seen the pictures of the place it's beaches are all white sugar sized sand. If I bring a couple of buckets of this sand home, can I rinse it well and use...
  20. N

Cool color

[DOes antone know of a good place, local or online, to get a cool colored anemone. This one was purchased somewhere in OK and I want one. alt=""> SHe just called it a Red Striped LTA. TYIA]