Search results

1. S

Mysterious illness

Hi all. I have something taking out my fish. Last week I lost a Naso, and today one of my cardinals. Water parameters test perfect, but one day a fish will act normal, eat like a pig, and the next he's listless on the sandbed and can't swim. The tang had a discoloration near the anal fin, but...
  2. S

Sick naso.

I think he's too far gone to save, but I am hoping someone here can give me advise. He's breathing heavily, and won't swim. He wouldn't eat today, and seemed fine yesterday. Took water to true perc, and it tested perfect. The rest of the tank is unaffected. He does have a spot on both sides of...
  3. S

Question about dry rock

If I get some rock that has been dry for about 3 months, how can I make sure that it's completely inert, and ready to be mixed with established rock in a tank? I want to add it to what I have, but let it seed and not cause a cycle.
  4. S

Metal Halide question 70W vs 175W vs 250W

All, Since I am getting ready to set up my first saltwater tank, I have been doing a TON of reading, and have a question about metal halides. I assumed that the wattage required had more to do with the depth of the tank for penetration. Is this not the case? For instance, I am looking at people...
  5. S

Lighting question - Is this way overkill?

So I am looking for lighting for my 100 Gallon tank (48x18x27) and I want to only buy lighting once, and be able to do WHATEVER I want in the tank. I am looking at 2 250W 15K MH HQI and 4 54W T5 lamps for actinic supplementation. Will this work? I want to be able to have any coral that strikes...
  6. S

external pumps - question

All, I am looking at pumps for the setup that I am putting together, and really want something with some expandability. I am looking at a pump that pushes 4700GPH at a head height of 10 feet. This will be way more than my 150 will need, so I will use valves to control the flow into the tank...
  7. S

Plan of attack - Help needed

All, I have been lurking on these forums for some time, but am finally getting ready to make the jump to salt water. I have always had very good success with fresh water systems, so I know that I have the patience and discipline to do well in this hobby. I have always kept great water quality...
  8. S

Is there any other type of rock that can be seeded for DIY

I called whiz-q stone, and they have been out of Tufa for quite a while. Would the holey rock or lace rock work for making live rock with? How long would I have to cure this before seeding it? Also, if I had to cure it, could I do it in fresh water, and then move it over to salt water for teh...