Mysterious illness

silveroak

Premium Member
Hi all. I have something taking out my fish. Last week I lost a Naso, and today one of my cardinals. Water parameters test perfect, but one day a fish will act normal, eat like a pig, and the next he's listless on the sandbed and can't swim. The tang had a discoloration near the anal fin, but the cardinal doesn't. There are no outward visual symptoms other than behavior.

Anyone with an idea of what this might be?

Yeah, that's kind of the point. I'm looking at the tank and the fish, and there is really no more info to give. I don't understand what can come on so fast, and kill so quickly but have no visible symptoms. I font even know what to do to try and stop it.

I added a sea hare to the tank a couple days before the tang died. Other than that nothing has been added to the tank.

Please test your tank for ammonia and nitrite. Also, what is your tank's water temperature (highest and lowest) daily?

Ammonia nitrate and nitrite were all at 0 ph was at 8.2 and my tank swings from 78.0 to as high as 80.4 during the day.

Water testing was the very first thing that I did. My friends think I'm insane, because I'm testing water every time anything is the least bit off in my tank. My bta acts flaky and closes up some during the day, water testing. Just whenever anything is wrong. I even took my water to true Percula to make sure that there was nothing wrong with my chemicals.

I think even though the parasite isn't visible, it is velvet, since it started less than a week after I added a naso to the tank. Lesson learned, from now on I'm going to qt.