Is there any other type of rock that can be seeded for DIY

silveroak

Premium Member
I called whiz-q stone, and they have been out of Tufa for quite a while. Would the holey rock or lace rock work for making live rock with? How long would I have to cure this before seeding it? Also, if I had to cure it, could I do it in fresh water, and then move it over to salt water for teh seeding process.

I really need to do this as inexpensively as possible. I plan on creating about 100 pounds of rock.

Thnaks!

Clay

I have some of the holey rock in my Fresh tank and I don't think it would make very good LR. It is very dense and smooth, almost no place for the little buggers to get into and flourish.

I also have 2 pieces of lace rock in my reef tank. It is alot more pourous then the lace rock. I have used it to make a shelf in the rockwork. It is becomming algea covered and looks pretty good.

@silveroak wrote:
Would the holey rock or lace rock work for making live rock with? How long would I have to cure this before seeding it? said:
If you sort through the pile of holey rock, you can usually find some pieces that will have a lot of small holes for pods and such to call home.
When you buy any dry rock like this, there is no need to "cure" the rock. However, giving it a good cleaning would be advisable. I would suggest blasting it with the water hose to remove any sand, dirt, and any other junk that's on the rocks. Then if you feel it's necessary, place the rocks in a container of water to soak and change the water every day or two until you're comfortable with placing the rock in your tank.
"Curing" rock is usually in reference to live rock. The curing process allows anything on the rock that died along the way, to be removed before placing the rock in your tank. You don't have that concern when using dry rock.

Would using Lace or Holey rock affect the PH of my tank? Is there any consideration that I would have to give to using this kind of stone?

@silveroak wrote:
Would using Lace or Holey rock affect the PH of my tank? Is there any consideration that I would have to give to using this kind of stone? said:
It is my understanding that holey rock is limestone and would thus have a positive effect on pH. This type of stone is commonly used in tanks, both fresh and salt. I wouldn't be overly concerned with using it.

I used quite a bit of lace rock in my tank, and haven't had any problems.
It's beautiful and blends right in with my LR.

http://www.whiz-q.com/images/boulders/Lace_Rock_1.jpg

looks pretty cool to me and affordable :)

THat holey rock looks pretty good to.