Recent content by Siberwulf

1. S

Moving a tank

Well, we finally got a lease on our condo, so we're off to an apartment! The 55g has to make the move there, then move to the new house afterwards. Are there any tips, FAQs, or personal pieces of advice anyone can throw out here to make sure my corals get there alive? :) (Still no fish, but...
  2. S

Having a nano at your workplace

I'm currently looking at getting a nano, as I wait for my main tank to sit in fallow after a bad case of Ich. I know we have a cleaning crew that comes through every night and cleans up everything. How can I be sure that whatever they spray around doesn't get into my tank? Do other people...
  3. S

Professional carpet cleaning

We're looking to get our carpet cleaned sometime in the near future, and my biggest concern is whether or not stuff is going to get shot into the air (ie chemicals from the machines) that could land in my tank and screw it up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  4. S

How to estimate total water volume.

I know this is probably already too late to figure out, but I'm curious how much actual water is in my tank so i can adjust my Purple Up and Essential Elements additions. Any advice appreciated :) Thanks!
  5. S

Iodine test kits

Are these pretty standard to cost $30? All my other test kits (Calcium, Nitrate/Nitrate, etc) were less than $15. Is this one just really expensive and out of the ordinary?
  6. S

Purple Up with Essential Elements

I've got a small bottle of both, and would like to start dosing my 55g tank with a small capful of each. Looking at the labels, it appears Purple up is higher in Calcium, while the EE is higher in traces such as stronium and iodine. Am I able to add both of these at the same time? If not, how...
  7. S

When to start adding Essential Elements

Pardon me if this isn't the right place to post this, as there's lots of different locations it could go: Here's a little history: Tanks is about 2 months old. 55g size, was started from 60 lbs live rock, lots of live sand. I did a water change about a month ago, and intend on doing on this...
  8. S

DIY Plexiglass lids

Well, the title kinda says it. The tank I bought had a freshwater light on it, and with all the Hang On Skimmer/filter setup I ahve, the glass tops that came with it no longer work. Is it worth cutting down on evap to build a plastic lid? I mean, I made one already, but my dog stepped on it...
  9. S

Life in a Post-Ich tank

Long time reader, first time poster here.. Ich wiped my tank. Here's a rough timeline of what happened: Wednesday: I noticed some little white spots on our Yellow-Eyed Tang. After consulting with my contact at DNA, I started raising the temperature towards 82 degrees. I also started...